2015 Mississippi Code
Title 27 - TAXATION AND FINANCE
Chapter 13 - CORPORATION FRANCHISE TAX
§ 27-13-7 - Tax on foreign corporations
(1) Franchise tax levy. Except as otherwise provided in subsections (3), (4), (5) and (7) of this section, there is hereby imposed, levied and assessed upon every corporation, association or joint-stock company, or partnership treated as a corporation under the Income Tax Laws or regulations as hereinbefore defined, organized and existing under and by virtue of the laws of some other state, territory or country, or organized and existing without any specific statutory authority, now or hereafter doing business or exercising any power, privilege or right within this state, as hereinbefore defined, a franchise or excise tax equal to Two Dollars and Fifty Cents ($ 2.50) of each One Thousand Dollars ($ 1,000.00), or fraction thereof, of the value of capital used, invested or employed within this state, except as hereinafter provided. In no case shall the franchise tax due for the accounting period be less than Twenty-five Dollars ($ 25.00). It is the purpose of this section to require the payment of a tax by all organizations not organized under the laws of this state, measured by the amount of capital or its equivalent, for which such organization receives the benefit and protection of the government and laws of the state.
(2) Annual report of foreign corporations. Each foreign corporation authorized to transact business in this state shall file an annual report as required by the provisions of Section 79-4-16.22.
(3) A corporation that has negotiated a fee-in-lieu as defined in Section 57-75-5 shall not be subject to the tax levied by this section on such project; provided, however, that the fee-in-lieu payment shall be otherwise treated in the same manner as the payment of franchise taxes.
(4) An approved business enterprise as defined in the Growth and Prosperity Act shall not be subject to the tax levied by this section on the value of capital used, invested or employed by the approved business enterprise in a growth and prosperity county or supervisors district as provided in the Growth and Prosperity Act.
(5) A business enterprise operating a project as defined in Section 57-64-33, in a county that is a member of a regional economic development alliance created under the Regional Economic Development Act shall not be subject to the tax levied by this section on the value of capital used, invested or employed by the business enterprise in such a county as provided in Section 57-64-33.
(6) The tax levied by this chapter and paid by a business enterprise located in a redevelopment project area under Sections 57-91-1 through 57-91-11 shall be deposited into the Redevelopment Project Incentive Fund created in Section 57-91-9.
(7) A business enterprise as defined in Section 57-113-1 that is exempt from certain state taxes under Section 57-113-5 shall not be subject to the tax levied by this section on the value of capital used, invested or employed by the business enterprise.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.