2015 Mississippi Code
Title 27 - TAXATION AND FINANCE
Chapter 13 - CORPORATION FRANCHISE TAX
§ 27-13-65 - Administration of chapter
(1) Jurisdiction. The commissioner shall have exclusive jurisdiction and be charged with the administration and enforcement of the provisions of this chapter, except as otherwise provided.
(2) Examine books. The commissioner, for the purpose of ascertaining the correctness of any return, or for the purpose of making a return where none has been made, is hereby authorized, by any agent designated by the commissioner, for that purpose, to examine any books, papers, records or memoranda, bearing upon the matter required to be included in the return, and may require the attendance of persons rendering a return or of any officer or employee of such person, or of any person having knowledge in the premises, and may take his testimony with reference to the matter required by law to be included in such return, with power to administer oaths to such person or persons.
(3) Summons. If any person summoned to appear under this chapter to testify, or produce books, papers or other data, shall refuse to do so, the chancery court for the district in which such person resides shall have jurisdiction by appropriate process to compel attendance, testimony or production of books, papers or other data.
(4) Employees. The commissioner, with the approval of the Governor, may appoint and remove such officers, agents, deputies, clerks and employees as he may deem necessary, such persons to have such duties and powers as the commissioner may, from time to time, prescribe. The salaries of all officers, agents and employees employed by the commissioner shall be such as he may prescribe, with the approval of the Governor, not to exceed such amounts as may be appropriated by the Legislature, and the members of the commission and such officers, agents and employees shall be allowed such reasonable and necessary traveling and other expenses as may be incurred in the performance of their duties not to exceed the amount appropriated therefor by the Legislature.
(5) Special agents. The commissioner shall designate certain special agents appointed under this section and evidenced by a written certificate of appointment under the seal of the commission, of which judicial notice shall be taken by all courts of this state. Such agents, when in possession of a warrant issued under authority of this chapter, shall have all the powers and duties of the sheriff in enforcing the provisions of the chapter relating to the warrant thus issued, and in making arrests of persons obstructing or seeking to obstruct the execution of such warrant, or in serving any writ, notice or order connected with the enrolled judgment for which the warrant is issued by whatever officer or authority of court issued.
(6) Employees bond. The commissioner may require such of the officers, agents and employees, as he may designate, to give bond for the faithful performance of their duties, in such form and with such securities as he may determine, and all premiums on such bonds shall be paid by the commissioner out of the monies appropriated for the purposes of this chapter.
(7) Administer oath. All officers empowered by law to administer oaths and the members of the commission, and such officers as it may designate, shall have power to administer an oath to any person or to take the acknowledgment of any person in respect to any return or report required by this chapter or the rules and regulations of the commissioner.
(8) Credentials. All agents of the commissioner shall have, for identification purposes, proper credentials signed by the chairman of the commission.
(9) Statistics. The commissioner shall prepare and publish annually statistics reasonably available with respect to the operation of this law, as he may deem pertinent and valuable.
(10) Repealed by Laws, 2005, ch. 499, § 22, eff from and after July 1, 2005.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.