2013 Mississippi Code
Title 93 - DOMESTIC RELATIONS
Chapter 29 - UNIFORM CHILD ABDUCTION PREVENTION ACT
§ 93-29-3 - Definitions
In this chapter:
(1) "Abduction" means the wrongful removal or wrongful retention of a child.
(2) "Child" means an unemancipated individual who is less than eighteen (18) years of age.
(3) "Child-custody determination" means a judgment, decree or other order of a court providing for the legal custody, physical custody or visitation with respect to a child. The term includes a permanent, temporary, initial and modification order.
(4) "Child-custody proceeding" means a proceeding in which legal custody, physical custody or visitation with respect to a child is at issue. The term includes a proceeding for divorce, dissolution of marriage, separation, neglect, abuse, dependency, guardianship, paternity, termination of parental rights or protection from domestic violence.
(5) "Court" means an entity authorized under the law of a state to establish, enforce or modify a child-custody determination.
(6) "Petition" includes a motion or its equivalent.
(7) "Record" means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(8) "State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any other territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. The term includes a federally recognized Indian tribe or nation.
(9) "Travel document" means records relating to a travel itinerary, including travel tickets, passes, reservations for transportation or accommodations. The term does not include a passport or visa.
(10) "Wrongful removal" means the taking of a child that breaches rights of custody or visitation given or recognized under the law of this state.
(11) "Wrongful retention" means the keeping or concealing of a child that breaches rights of custody or visitation given or recognized under the law of this state.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.