2013 Mississippi Code
Title 83 - INSURANCE
Chapter 65 - REGULATION OF VEHICLE SERVICE CONTRACTS
§ 83-65-113 - Use of particular words in names of providers, contracts or literature; false or misleading statements or omissions, etc., by providers; requirement of purchase of vehicle service contract as condition of loan or sale
(1) Unless licensed as an insurance company, a provider shall not use in its name, contracts, or literature, any of the words "insurance," "casualty," "surety," "mutual," or any other words descriptive of the insurance, casualty, or surety business or deceptively similar to the name or description of any insurance or surety corporation, or any other vehicle service contract provider.
(2) A provider shall not, without the written consent of the purchaser, knowingly charge a purchaser for duplication of coverage or duties required by state or federal law, a warranty expressly issued by a manufacturer or seller of a product or any implied warranty enforceable against the lessor, seller, or manufacturer of a product.
(3) A provider shall not make, permit, or cause any false or misleading statements, either oral or written, in connection with the sale, offer to sell, or advertisement of a vehicle service contract.
(4) A provider shall not permit or cause the omission of any material statement in connection with the sale, offer to sell, or advertisement of a vehicle service contract, which under the circumstances should have been made in order to make the statements that were made not misleading.
(5) A provider shall not make, permit, or cause any false or misleading statements, either oral or written, about the benefits or services available under the vehicle service contract.
(6) A provider shall not make, permit, or cause any statement or practice which has the effect of creating or maintaining a fraud.
(7) A provider is prohibited from making, publishing, disseminating, circulating, or placing before the public, or causing, directly or indirectly, to be made, published, disseminated, circulated, or placed before the public in a newspaper, magazine or other publication, or in the form of a notice, circular, pamphlet, letter or poster, or over any radio or television station or in any other way, an advertisement, announcement, or statement containing any assertion, representation, or statement with respect to the vehicle service contract industry or with respect to any provider which is untrue, deceptive, or misleading.
(8) A person such as a bank, savings and loan association, insurance company, lending institution, manufacturer or seller of any product, shall not require the purchase of a vehicle service contract as a condition of a loan or a sale.
(9) A provider is prohibited from making, publishing, disseminating, or circulating, directly or indirectly, or aiding, abetting, or encouraging the making, publishing, disseminating, or circulating of any oral or written statement or any pamphlet, circular, article, or literature which is false, or maliciously critical of or derogatory to the financial condition of any person, and which is calculated to injure such person.
(10) A provider is prohibited from entering into any agreement to commit, or by any concerted action committing, any act of boycott, coercion or intimidation resulting in or tending to result in unreasonable restraint of, or monopoly in, the service contract industry.
(11) A provider is prohibited from knowingly filing with any supervisory or other public official, or knowingly making, publishing, disseminating, circulating, or delivering to any person, or placing before the public, or knowingly causing directly or indirectly, to be made, published, disseminated, circulated, delivered to any person, or placed before the public, any false material statement of fact as to the financial condition of a person.
(12) A provider is prohibited from knowingly making any false entry of a material fact in any book, report, or statement of any person or knowingly omitting to make a true entry of any material fact pertaining to the business of such person in any book, report or statement of such person.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.