2013 Mississippi Code
Title 83 - INSURANCE
Chapter 34 - WINDSTORM UNDERWRITING ASSOCIATION
§ 83-34-4 - Nonadmitted policy fee; responsibility of surplus lines insurance producer placing insurance through nonadmitted insurer to collect and remit fees; calculation of fee; penalty for nonpayment [Repealed effective July 1, 2014]
(1) Nonadmitted insurers shall not be assessable insurers of the association. All surplus lines insurance producers placing insurance through nonadmitted insurers shall collect from the insured and remit to the association a nonadmitted policy fee on all premiums for all insurance written by such surplus lines insurance producer for a policy from a nonadmitted insurer for any and all risks in this state. By procuring or selling insurance on property in this state from a nonadmitted insurer, each surplus lines insurance producer placing insurance through a nonadmitted insurer agrees to be bound by the provisions of this chapter and to collect and remit the nonadmitted policy fee provided for herein.
(2) The nonadmitted policy fee shall be a percentage of the total policy premium but the nonadmitted policy fee shall not be considered premium and is not subject to premium taxes or commissions. However, failure to pay the nonadmitted policy fee shall be treated the same as failure to pay premium. "Total policy premium" includes taxes and commissions.
(3) The nonadmitted policy fee percentage shall be three percent (3%).
(4) Within twenty (20) days of the end of the quarter, surplus lines insurance producers placing insurance through nonadmitted insurers shall remit directly to the association all nonadmitted policy fees collected in the preceding quarter. In addition to the nonadmitted policy fee provided for herein, surplus lines insurance producers placing insurance through nonadmitted insurers shall collect and remit surcharges as provided by this chapter. Surplus lines insurance producers placing insurance through nonadmitted insurers may designate another surplus lines insurance producer that actually procured the insurance from the nonadmitted carrier to collect and remit the nonadmitted policy fees.
(5) Each insured in this state who directly procures or renews insurance with a nonadmitted insurer on properties, risks or exposures located or to be performed, in whole or in part, in this state, other than insurance procured through a surplus lines licensee, shall be subject to the nonadmitted policy fee which shall be paid by the insured according to the procedures provided for premium taxes in Section 83-21-17(5).
(6) This section shall stand repealed from and after July 1, 2014.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.