2013 Mississippi Code
Title 81 - BANKS AND FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS
Chapter 19 - CONSUMER LOAN BROKER ACT
§ 81-19-17 - Supervision of licensees by commissioner; regulations; examination of licensees' records, etc.; administrative fines; injunctions against licensees violating chapter; administrative fine
(1) Each licensee shall be subject to the supervision of the commissioner.
(2) The commissioner is authorized to make and enforce such reasonable regulations as are necessary and proper for the administration, enforcement and interpretation of the provisions of this chapter. In adopting such regulations, the commissioner shall follow the procedures set forth in the Mississippi Administrative Procedures Act (Sections 25-43-1 et seq., Mississippi Code of 1972).
(3) In order to discover violations of this chapter and to identify persons subject to the provisions of this chapter, the commissioner is authorized to examine licensees, including all books, records, accounts and papers employed by such licensees in the transaction of their business, to summon witnesses and examine them under oath concerning matters relating to the business of such persons, and to investigate such other matters as may be relevant in the opinion of the commissioner. For this purpose and for the general purposes of administration of this chapter, the commissioner may employ such deputies and assistants as may be necessary, and such deputies and assistants, in the discretion of the commissioner, may be vested with the same authority conferred upon the commissioner by this chapter.
(4) For the purpose of defraying a portion of the examination and administrative expenses incurred by the commissioner, each licensee shall pay at the time of examination the actual expenses of the examination, not to exceed Two Hundred Dollars ($ 200.00) per day for the time actually devoted to examining the business of the licensee. However, for any examination other than one conducted because of suspected blatant violation of this chapter, the amount charged to any single licensee in any one (1) year shall not exceed Two Thousand Dollars ($ 2,000.00).
(5) The commissioner may impose and collect an administrative fine against any person found to have charged or collected a service charge or advance fee from a borrower before a loan is actually found, obtained and closed for such borrower. Such fine shall not exceed Five Thousand Dollars ($ 5,000.00) for each violation.
(6) Whenever the commissioner has reasonable cause to believe that any person is violating any of the provisions of this chapter, in addition to all other remedies provided herein, the commissioner may, by, through and on the relation of the Attorney General, district attorney or county attorney, apply to a court of competent jurisdiction for an injunction, both temporary and permanent, to restrain such person from engaging in or continuing such violation of the provisions of this chapter or from doing any act or acts in furtherance thereof.
(7) The commissioner may, after notice and hearing, impose an administrative fine against any licensee if the licensee or employee is adjudged by the commissioner to be in violation of the provisions of this chapter. The administrative fine shall not exceed Five Hundred Dollars ($ 500.00) per violation and shall be deposited into the Consumer Finance Fund of the Department of Banking and Consumer Finance.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.