2013 Mississippi Code
Title 79 - CORPORATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS, AND PARTNERSHIPS
Chapter 29 - REVISED MISSISSIPPI LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY ACT
Article 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS
§ 79-29-111 - Reservation of name
(1) The right to the use of a legal name under Section 79-29-109 may be reserved by:
(a) A person intending to organize a limited liability company under this chapter and to adopt that name;
(b) A domestic limited liability company or any foreign limited liability company registered in this state which, in either case, intends to adopt that name;
(c) A foreign limited liability company intending to register in this state and adopt that name; and
(d) A person intending to organize a foreign limited liability company and intending to have it registered in this state and adopt that name.
(2) The reservation shall be made by delivering to the Office of the Secretary of State for filing an application, signed by the applicant, specifying the name to be reserved and the name and address of the applicant. If the Secretary of State finds that the name is available for use as a legal name by a domestic or foreign limited liability company, the Secretary of State shall reserve the name for the exclusive use of the applicant as a legal name for a period of one hundred eighty (180) days. Once having so reserved a name, the same applicant may not again reserve the same name until more than sixty (60) days after the expiration of the last one-hundred-eighty-day period for which that applicant reserved that name. The right to the exclusive use of a reserved name may be transferred to any other person by delivering to the Office of the Secretary of State a notice of the transfer, signed by the applicant for whom the name was reserved and specifying the name and address of the transferee.
(3) The reservation of a specified name may be cancelled by delivering to the Office of the Secretary of State a notice of cancellation, specifying the name reservation to be cancelled and the name and address of the applicant or transferee.
(4) Unless the Secretary of State finds that any application, notice of transfer, or notice of cancellation filed with the Secretary of State as required by this section does not conform to law, upon receipt of all filing fees required by law the Secretary shall prepare and return to the person who filed the instrument a copy of the filed instrument with a notation thereon of the action taken by the Secretary of State.
(5) A fee as set forth in Section 79-29-1203 of this chapter shall be paid at the time of the reservation of any name and at the time of the filing of a notice of the transfer or cancellation of any such reservation.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.