2013 Mississippi Code
Title 75 - REGULATION OF TRADE, COMMERCE AND INVESTMENTS
Chapter 9 - UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE--SECURED TRANSACTIONS
Part 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS
Subpart 2 - APPLICABILITY OF ARTICLE
§ 75-9-109 - Scope
(a) Except as otherwise provided in subsections (c) and (d), this article applies to:
(1) A transaction, regardless of its form, that creates a security interest in personal property or fixtures by contract;
(2) An agricultural lien;
(3) A sale of accounts, chattel paper, payment intangibles, or promissory notes;
(4) A consignment;
(5) A security interest arising under Section 75-2-401, 75-2-505, 75-2-711(3), or 75-2A-508(5), as provided in Section 75-9-110; and
(6) A security interest arising under Section 75-4-210 or 75-5-118.
(b) The application of this article to a security interest in a secured obligation is not affected by the fact that the obligation is itself secured by a transaction or interest to which this article does not apply.
(c) This article does not apply to the extent that:
(1) A statute, regulation, or treaty of the United States preempts this article;
(2) A statute of another state, a foreign country, or a governmental unit of another state or a foreign country, other than a statute generally applicable to security interests, expressly governs creation, perfection, priority, or enforcement of a security interest created by the state, country, or governmental unit; or
(3) The rights of a transferee beneficiary or nominated person under a letter of credit are independent and superior under Section 75-5-114.
(d) This article does not apply to:
(1) A landlord's lien, other than an agricultural lien;
(2) A lien, other than an agricultural lien, given by statute or other rule of law for services or materials, but Section 75-9-333 applies with respect to priority of the lien;
(3) An assignment of a claim for wages, salary, or other compensation of an employee;
(4) A sale of accounts, chattel paper, payment intangibles, or promissory notes as part of a sale of the business out of which they arose;
(5) An assignment of accounts, chattel paper, payment intangibles, or promissory notes which is for the purpose of collection only;
(6) An assignment of a right to payment under a contract to an assignee that is also obligated to perform under the contract;
(7) An assignment of a single account, payment intangible, or promissory note to an assignee in full or partial satisfaction of a preexisting indebtedness;
(8) A transfer of an interest in or an assignment of a claim under a policy of insurance, other than an assignment by or to a health-care provider of a health-care-insurance receivable and any subsequent assignment of the right to payment, but Sections 75-9-315 and 75-9-322 apply with respect to proceeds and priorities in proceeds;
(9) An assignment of a right represented by a judgment, other than a judgment taken on a right to payment that was collateral;
(10) A right of recoupment or set-off, but:
(A) Section 75-9-340 applies with respect to the effectiveness of rights of recoupment or set-off against deposit accounts; and
(B) Section 75-9-404 applies with respect to defenses or claims of an account debtor;
(11) The creation or transfer of an interest in or lien on real property, including a lease or rents thereunder, except to the extent that provision is made for:
(A) Liens on real property in Sections 75-9-203 and 75-9-308;
(B) Fixtures in Section 75-9-334;
(C) Fixture filings in Sections 75-9-501, 75-9-502, 75-9-512, 75-9-516, and 75-9-519; and
(D) Security agreements covering personal and real property in Section 75-9-604;
(12) An assignment of a claim arising in tort, other than a commercial tort claim, but Sections 75-9-315 and 75-9-322 apply with respect to proceeds and priorities in proceeds; or
(13) To a transfer by this state or a governmental unit of this state.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.