2013 Mississippi Code
Title 75 - REGULATION OF TRADE, COMMERCE AND INVESTMENTS
Chapter 24 - REGULATION OF BUSINESS FOR CONSUMER PROTECTION
OBLIGATIONS OF CONSUMER REPORTING AGENCIES
§ 75-24-201 - Security freeze; written request by consumer; fee; disclosure of security freeze process; timing; unique personal identification number to be used by consumer to authorize removal or lifting of freeze
(1) On written request sent by certified mail that includes proper identification provided by a consumer and a copy of a valid police report, investigative report or complaint which the consumer has filed with a law enforcement agency regarding the unlawful use of the personal information of the consumer by another person, a consumer reporting agency shall place a security freeze on a consumer's consumer file not later than the fifth business day after the date the agency receives the request. A reporting agency may charge a consumer a reasonable fee not to exceed Ten Dollars ($ 10.00) to place a security freeze in his file.
(2) On written request for a security freeze provided by a consumer under subsection (1), a consumer reporting agency shall disclose to the consumer the process of placing, removing and temporarily lifting a security freeze and the process for allowing access to information from the consumer's file with the consumer reporting agency for a specific requester or period while the security freeze is in effect.
(3) A consumer reporting agency shall, not later than the tenth business day after the date the agency receives the request for a security freeze:
(a) Send a written confirmation of the security freeze to the consumer; and
(b) Provide the consumer with a unique personal identification number or password to be used by the consumer to authorize a removal or temporary lifting of the security freeze under Section 75-24-207.
(4) A consumer may request in writing a replacement personal identification number or password. The request must comply with the requirements for requesting a security freeze under subsection (1). The consumer reporting agency shall, not later than the third business day after the date the agency receives the request for a replacement personal identification number or password, provide the consumer with a new unique personal identification number or password to be used by the consumer instead of the number or password that was provided under subsection (3).
(5) As used in Sections 75-24-201 through 75-24-217, the term "security freeze" means a notice that (a) prohibits a consumer reporting agency from releasing all or any part of a consumer report or any information derived from a consumer report relating to the extension of credit, and (b) is placed in the file retained by the consumer reporting agency on that consumer at the consumer's request pursuant to subsection (1).
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.