2013 Mississippi Code
Title 71 - LABOR AND INDUSTRY
Chapter 7 - DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING OF EMPLOYEES
§ 71-7-7 - Neutral selection drug and alcohol testing; routine testing; testing of employees participating in rehabilitation
(1) Subject to the provisions of this chapter and any applicable collective bargaining agreement or contract, any nongovernment employer may require as a condition of employment or as a condition of continued employment that employees submit to neutral selection drug and alcohol testing.
(2) Subject to the provisions of this chapter, any government employer may require as a condition of employment or as a condition of continued employment that employees submit to neutral selection drug and alcohol testing; provided, however, that the employees tested and the criteria for such testing shall be determined by the government employer, based upon the extent to which the government employer:
(a) Is engaged in law enforcement;
(b) Has national or state security responsibilities;
(c) Has drug interdiction responsibilities; or
(d) Has positions which:
(i) Authorize employees to carry firearms;
(ii) Give employees access to sensitive information;
(iii) Authorize employees to engage in law enforcement;
(iv) Require employees, as a condition of employment, to obtain a security clearance; or
(v) Require employees to engage in activities affecting public health or safety.
(3) An employer may require an employee to submit to a drug and alcohol test if the test is conducted as part of a routinely scheduled employee fitness for duty medical examination that is part of the employer's established policy and/or which is scheduled routinely for all members of an employment classification or group.
(4) An employer may require an employee to submit to neutral selection or routine drug and alcohol tests if the employee in the course of his employment enters a drug abuse rehabilitation program, and as a follow-up to such rehabilitation, or if previous drug and alcohol testing of the employee within a twelve-month period resulted in a positive confirmed test result, or the drug and alcohol test is conducted in accordance with the terms of an applicable collective bargaining agreement or contract that permits the employer to administer drug and alcohol tests on a neutral selection or routine basis.
(5) If an employee is participating in drug abuse rehabilitation, drug and alcohol testing may be conducted by the rehabilitation provider as deemed appropriate by the provider.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.