2013 Mississippi Code
Title 39 - LIBRARIES, ARTS, ARCHIVES AND HISTORY
Chapter 25 - SOUTHERN ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT CENTER
§ 39-25-1 - Establishment of Southern Arts and Entertainment Center; purpose of center; duties and objectives of center; Department of Finance and Administration authorized to contract with nonprofit corporation for construction, operation, and administration of center
(1) There is established the Southern Arts and Entertainment Center ("center") to be housed in a facility located within the corporate limits of Meridian, Mississippi. The purpose of the center shall be to provide an educational, entertaining and interactive facility to illustrate the unique culture of the State of Mississippi or other southern states; to illustrate the outstanding contributions of Mississippians to the arts and the field of entertainment; and to provide family-oriented attractions in the delivery of an educational experience to citizens of, and visitors to, Mississippi.
(2) The center shall consist of a conference center, a performing arts theater, an amphitheater and an artists' village. The center shall conduct ongoing events such as induction into an arts and entertainment hall of fame, seminars, workshops and demonstrations by guest artists.
(3) The duties and objectives of the center shall be:
(a) To stimulate and encourage throughout the state the study and presentation of the performing, visual, and literary arts and public interest and participation therein;
(b) To encourage participation in, appreciation of, and education in the arts to meet the legitimate needs and aspirations of persons in all parts of the state;
(c) To take such steps as may be necessary and appropriate to encourage public interest in the cultural heritage of Mississippi and the south to expand the state's cultural resources, and to promote the use of art in state government's activities and facilities; and
(d) To encourage excellence and assist freedom of artistic expression essential for the well being of the arts.
(4) The center is authorized to hold public hearings, to enter into contracts within the limit of funds available therefor, with individuals, organizations and institutions for services furthering the objectives of the center's programs; to enter into contracts, within the limit of funds available therefor, with local and regional associations for cooperative endeavors furthering the objectives of the center's programs; to make and sign any agreements and to do and perform any acts that may be necessary to carry out the purposes of this section.
(5) The Department of Finance and Administration may enter into any agreement with a nonprofit corporation necessary for the construction, operation and administration of the center. For the construction, operation and administration of the center, such nonprofit corporation may receive and expend any funds made available in any manner by public or private sources and may receive contributions and donations of land or other property and other forms of financial assistance and property, equipment, materials or manpower from persons, foundations, trust funds, corporations, organizations, and other public or private sources to be expended and used in carrying out the mission of the center. However, no state funds or other state resources may be used for the center unless specifically authorized by the Legislature for that purpose.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.