2010 Mississippi Code
TITLE 89 - REAL AND PERSONAL PROPERTY
Chapter 8 - Residential Landlord and Tenant Act.
89-8-15 - Repair of defects by tenant.
§ 89-8-15. Repair of defects by tenant.
(1) If, within thirty (30) days after written notice to the landlord of a specific and material defect which constitutes a breach of the terms of the rental agreement or of the obligation of the landlord under Section 89-8-23, the landlord fails to repair such defect, the tenant:
(a) May repair such defect himself; and
(b) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2) of this section, shall be entitled to reimbursement of the expenses of such repairs within forty-five (45) days after submission to the landlord of receipted bills for such work, provided that:
(i) The tenant has fulfilled his affirmative obligations under Section 89-8-25;
(ii) The expenses incurred in making such repairs do not exceed an amount equal to one (1) month's rent;
(iii) The tenant has not exercised the remedy provided by this section in the six (6) months immediately preceding; and
(iv) The tenant is current in his rental payment.
(2) A tenant shall not be entitled to be reimbursed for repairs made pursuant to this section in an amount greater than the usual and customary charge for such repairs.
(3) Before correcting a condition affecting facilities shared by more than one (1) dwelling unit, the tenant shall notify all other tenants sharing such facilities of his plans and shall so arrange the work as to create the least practicable inconvenience to the other tenants.
(4) The cost of repairs made by a tenant pursuant to this section may be offset against future rent.
(5) No provision of this section shall be construed to grant a lien against the real property.
Sources: Laws, 1991, ch. 478, § 8, eff from and after July 1, 1991, and shall apply to rental agreements entered into after such date.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.