2010 Mississippi Code
TITLE 49 - CONSERVATION AND ECOLOGY
Chapter 31 - Mississippi Multimedia Pollution Prevention Act.
49-31-21 - Generators of hazardous waste to provide waste minimization plans; contents of plan; annual update; review of plan; report of wastes generated and minimized.
§ 49-31-21. Generators of hazardous waste to provide waste minimization plans; contents of plan; annual update; review of plan; report of wastes generated and minimized.
(1) The department shall require waste minimization plans to be provided by each generator of hazardous waste who is regulated as a large quantity generator or a small quantity generator under Mississippi hazardous waste management regulations and each facility operator required to file a report under Section 313 of EPCRA. The generators and facility operators shall provide a plan for each site where waste is generated or chemicals are released.
(2) Waste minimization plans for large quantity generators and for facility operators required to file a report under Section 313 of EPCRA, shall include, at a minimum:
(a) A written policy describing ownership and management support for pollution prevention and waste minimization and implementation of the plan;
(b) The scope and objectives of the plan, including the evaluation of technologies, procedures and personnel training programs to ensure waste minimization;
(c) An explanation and documentation of waste minimization efforts completed or in progress before the first reporting date;
(d) An analysis of waste streams, and identification of opportunities to eliminate waste generation. The analysis shall include review of individual processes and facilities and other activities where wastes may be generated, evaluation of data on the types, amounts and hazardous and toxic constituents of waste generated, and potential waste minimization techniques applicable to those wastes;
(e) An identification of waste management costs;
(f) An identification of employee awareness and training programs to involve employees in waste minimization planning and implementation to the maximum extent feasible;
(g) The establishment of performance goals for the minimization of wastes which shall be expressed in numeric terms, to the extent practicable.
(3) The department shall develop appropriate, but less stringent, requirements for waste minimization plans to be prepared by small quantity generators.
(4) All generators and facility operators required to prepare a waste minimization plan shall update annually their waste minimization plan. The annual update shall include at a minimum:
(a) An analysis and quantification of progress made, if any, in waste minimization, relative to each performance goal established under subsection (2) (g) of this section; and
(b) Any amendments to the waste minimization plan and an explanation of the need for the amendments.
(5) For purposes of this section, a generator or facility operator shall permit the department or its designee to review the waste minimization plan.
(6) From the waste minimization plan and each annual update, the generator or facility operator shall submit to the department a certified report of the types and quantities of wastes generated, and the types and quantities of wastes minimized. To the extent practicable, the department shall coordinate the submission of this certified report with other reporting requirements placed on large quantity and small quantity hazardous waste generators and facility operators.
(7) The certified report shall include a narrative summary explaining the waste generation and minimization data, a description of goals and progress made in minimizing the generation of wastes, and a description of any impediments to the minimization of wastes.
Sources: Laws, 1990, ch. 507, § 12; Laws, 1994, ch. 637 § 8; Laws, 2006, ch. 587, § 11, eff from and after July 1, 2006.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.