2019 Minnesota Statutes
Chapters 120 - 129C — Education Code: Prekindergarten - Grade 12
Chapter 129 — Chippewa Forest Land Exchanges; Border Agreements
Section 129.11 — With District In Bordering State.

Universal Citation: MN Stat § 129.11 (2019)

Subdivision 1. To build, run school jointly. The school board of a school district bordering another state may enter into an agreement with the school board of a school district in the other state to erect, operate, and maintain school facilities jointly.

Subd. 1a. Comply with this section. The agreement must comply with this section.

Subd. 2. Commissioner to set terms, approve. The agreement must be in the form and contain the terms prescribed by the Minnesota commissioner of education in a published order. An agreement cannot be submitted to a referendum by the people under subdivision 3 until the commissioner has approved it by endorsement on its face.

Subd. 3. Referendum. The endorsed agreement must be submitted in the manner provided by law to the voters of the school district. The referendum may be held at a special election called for the purpose or at an annual election.

Subd. 3a. Ballot language. These words or words with the same effect must be on the ballot:

"Your school district proposes to make an agreement with school district number ..... in ..... County, state of ..... to erect, operate, and maintain school facilities jointly. The Minnesota commissioner of education approves of the agreement. Do you approve of the agreement?

YES .....

NO ......"

Subd. 4. Facilities in either state. Facilities erected and maintained under the agreement may be in Minnesota or the other state.

Subd. 5. Borrow, tax, issue bonds. To do what the agreement calls for, the Minnesota school district making the agreement may borrow money, levy taxes, issue bonds, and use the proceeds of the bonds. Chapter 475 must be followed.

History: 1957 c 370 s 1-5; 1986 c 444; 1989 c 220 s 4; 1Sp1995 c 3 art 16 s 13; 2003 c 130 s 12

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Minnesota may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.