2017 Minnesota Statutes
Chapters 17 - 43 — AGRICULTURE
Chapter 17 — DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
Section 17.4989 — FISH SAMPLE COLLECTING.
17.4989 FISH SAMPLE COLLECTING.
Subdivision 1. Training. Fish collector training may be offered by any organization or agency that has had its class and practicum syllabus approved by the commissioner. The class and practicum must include the following components:
(1) accurate identification of licensed water bodies listed according to section 17.4984 and ensuring that collection is taking place at the correct site;
(2) identification of fish internal organs;
(3) fish dissection and sample preparation as identified by the Department of Natural Resources based on specific testing requirements or as outlined in the Fish Health Blue Book or the Diagnostic Manual for Aquatic Animal Diseases, published by the International Office of Epizootics (OIE);
(4) recording and reporting data;
(5) sample preparation and shipping;
(6) a field collection site test to demonstrate mastery of the necessary skills, overseen by a certified fish health inspector; and
(7) a certificate of successful completion signed by a certified fish health inspector on a form provided by the commissioner.
Subd. 2. Certification time period. Fish collector certification is valid for five years and is not transferable. A person may renew certification only by successfully completing certification training. Certification shall be revoked if the certified person is convicted of violating any of the statutes or rules governing testing for aquatic species diseases. Certification may be suspended during an investigation associated with misconduct or violations of fish health testing and collection. The commissioner shall notify the person that certification is being revoked or suspended.
Subd. 3. Conflict of interest. A fish collector may not oversee the collection of fish from a facility or a water body when the collector has a conflict of interest in connection with the outcome of the testing.
History: 1Sp2011 c 2 art 5 s 7