2011 Minnesota Statutes
Chapters 245 - 267 — Public Welfare and Related Activities
Chapter 257C — De Facto Custodian and Interested Third Party
Section 257C.07 — Custody Consent Decree

MN Stat § 257C.07 (1996 through Reg Sess) What's This?


In a proceeding under this chapter, a parent may transfer legal and physical custody of a child by a consent decree entered under this section. The court may approve a proposed consent decree if the custody arrangement is in the best interests of the child and all parties to the decree agree to it after being fully informed of its contents. A consent decree under this section must:

(1) transfer legal and physical custody of the child to a third party and state that this includes the ability to determine the child's residence; make decisions regarding the child's education, religious training, and health care; and obtain information and public services on behalf of the child in the same manner as a parent;

(2) indicate whether the transfer of custody is temporary or permanent; and

(3) include an order for child support in the guidelines amount and an allocation of child care costs as provided by section 518A.40, subject to income withholding under section 518A.53 and including an order for medical support under section 518A.41.

A party to a consent decree under this section may file a motion to modify or terminate the consent decree at any time. Section 518.18, paragraphs (d) and (e), apply to all modifications. A party who has custody of a child under this section must seek modification of the consent decree before transferring physical or legal custody of the child to anyone.


1997 c 112 s 2; 1997 c 203 art 6 s 92; 2002 c 304 s 13; 2003 c 7 s 2; 2005 c 164 s 29; 1Sp2005 c 7 s 28; 2006 c 280 s 46

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Minnesota may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.