2005 Minnesota Statutes - 181.89 — Civil actions.
181.89 Civil actions.
Subdivision 1. May bring action. Any migrant worker claiming to be aggrieved by a violation of sections 181.86 to 181.88 may bring a civil action for damages and injunctive relief against the worker's employer.
Subd. 2. Judgment; damages. If the court finds that any defendant has violated the provisions of sections 181.86 to 181.88, the court shall enter judgment for the actual damages incurred by the plaintiff or the appropriate penalty as provided by this subdivision, whichever is greater. The court may also award court costs and a reasonable attorney's fee. The penalties shall be as follows:
(1) Whenever the court finds that an employer has violated the record-keeping requirements of section 181.88, $50;
(2) Whenever the court finds that an employer has recruited a migrant worker without providing a written employment statement as provided in section 181.86, subdivision 1, $250;
(3) Whenever the court finds that an employer has recruited a migrant worker after having provided a written employment statement, but finds that the employment statement fails to comply with the requirement of section 181.86, subdivision 1 or section 181.87, $250;
(4) Whenever the court finds that an employer has failed to comply with the terms of an employment statement which the employer has provided to a migrant worker or has failed to comply with any payment term required by section 181.87, $500;
(5) Whenever the court finds that an employer has failed to pay wages to a migrant worker within a time period set forth in section 181.87, subdivision 2 or 3, $500; and
(6) Whenever penalties are awarded, they shall be awarded severally in favor of each migrant worker plaintiff and against each defendant found liable.
HIST: 1981 c 212 s 5; 1986 c 444; 2005 c 127 s 3
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Minnesota may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.