2005 Minnesota Statutes - 148D.235 — Fees and billing practices.

148D.235 Fees and billing practices.
Subdivision 1. Fees and payments. (a) A social worker must ensure that a client or a client's legal representative is informed of all fees at the initial session or meeting with the client, and that payment for services is arranged with the client or the client's legal representative at the beginning of the professional relationship. Upon request from a client or a client's legal representative, a social worker must provide in a timely manner a written payment plan or a written explanation of the charges for any services rendered.
(b) When providing services authorized or required by law to a client who does not have the capacity to provide consent and who does not have a legal representative, a social worker may submit reasonable bills to an appropriate payer for services provided.
Subd. 2. Billing for services not provided. A social worker must not bill for services that have not been provided except that, with prior notice to the client, a social worker may bill for failed appointments or for cancellations without sufficient notice. A social worker may bill only for provided services which are necessary and appropriate. Financial responsibility for failed appointment billings resides solely with the client and such costs may not be billed to public or private payers.
Subd. 3. No payment for referrals. A social worker must not accept or give a commission, rebate, or other form of remuneration solely or primarily to profit from the referral of a client.
Subd. 4. Fees and billing practices. A social worker must not engage in improper or fraudulent billing practices, including, but not limited to, violations of the federal Medicare and Medicaid laws or state medical assistance laws.
HIST: 2005 c 147 art 1 s 52

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Minnesota may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.