2020 Michigan Compiled Laws
Chapter 257 - Motor Vehicles
Act 300 of 1949 Michigan Vehicle Code (257.1 - 257.923)
300-1949-III Chapter III Operator's and Chauffeur's License (257.301...257.329)
Section 257.302a Nonresident Using License to Operate Motor Vehicle Issued by Another Country; Establishment of Unique Driver Record; Reciprocal Agreement.
(1) Except as otherwise provided by this act, and as provided in this section, a nonresident operator of a motor vehicle who is the holder of a license to operate a motor vehicle issued by a country other than the United States is not required to obtain a license to operate a passenger vehicle in this state if he or she does not receive compensation for such operation. The nonresident operator may operate a motor vehicle in compliance with otherwise applicable state and federal law using the license to operate a motor vehicle issued by a country other than the United States if the country that issued the nonresident operator's license is a party to an international treaty, convention, or agreement regulating traffic, driving, or the operation of motor vehicles to which the United States or this state is also a party, according to the terms of that treaty, convention, or agreement. If the issuing country is not a party to a treaty, convention, or agreement described in this subsection, the nonresident operator may operate a motor vehicle using the license issued by his or her home country if he or she would otherwise be able to satisfy the requirements of section 307(1) except for any requirement to establish an address in this state or residency. While operating a passenger vehicle in this state, a nonresident operator who is the holder of a license to operate a motor vehicle issued by a country other than the United States shall have in his or her immediate possession his or her valid license to operate a motor vehicle issued by that country and, if no English translation appears on the front or back of the license, 1 of the following:
(a) A valid international driving permit.
(b) If the license to operate a motor vehicle is issued by a country that does not permit the issuance of an international driving permit, a document containing a photo and an English translation that substantially corresponds to an international driving permit, which shall be used solely to properly identify the individual appearing on the license for the purpose of enforcing this act.
(2) The secretary of state shall establish a unique driver record for an individual upon receipt of an abstract of conviction for any offense committed in violation of this act by that individual who is operating a motor vehicle in this state as provided in subsection (1). The operation of a motor vehicle in this state by an individual who possesses a valid license to operate a motor vehicle issued by a country other than the United States is subject to this act.
(3) An individual for whom a unique driver record has been created under subsection (2) is subject to all fees, fines, restrictions, and enforcement as if he or she were licensed under this act.
(4) Nothing in this section prohibits the secretary of state from entering into a reciprocal agreement and exchanging letters confirming the extension of privileges to operate vehicles with another country.
(5) The secretary of state shall publish on its website a list of the countries with which it has entered into a reciprocal agreement described in subsection (4).
History: Add. 1990, Act 181, Imd. Eff. July 18, 1990 ;-- Am. 2006, Act 298, Imd. Eff. July 20, 2006 ;-- Am. 2016, Act 138, Eff. Mar. 29, 2017