2018 Michigan Compiled Laws
Chapter 722 - Children
Act 91 of 1970 CHILD CUSTODY ACT OF 1970 (722.21 - 722.31)
AN ACT to declare the inherent rights of minor children; to establish rights and duties to their custody, support, and parenting time in disputed actions; to establish rights and duties to provide support for a child after the child reaches the age of majority under certain circumstances; to provide for certain procedure and appeals; and to repeal certain acts and parts of acts.
History: 1970, Act 91, Eff. Apr. 1, 1971 ;-- Am. 1990, Act 245, Imd. Eff. Oct. 10, 1990 ;-- Am. 1996, Act 19, Eff. June 1, 1996
- Section 722.21 Child custody act; short title.
- Section 722.22 Definitions.
- Section 722.23 "Best interests of the child" defined.
- Section 722.24 Child custody disputes; powers of court; appointment of lawyer-guardian ad litem.
- Section 722.24a Repealed. 2001, Act 108, Eff. Sept. 30, 2001.
- Section 722.25 Child custody dispute; controlling interests, presumption; award of custody to parent convicted of criminal sexual conduct or acts of nonconsensual sexual penetration; prohibition; support or maintenance obligation; defense; "offending parent" defined.
- Section 722.26 Liberal construction and application of act; purpose; provisions applicable to child custody disputes and actions; precedence of other actions; submission of action; habeas corpus or warrant.
- Section 722.26a Joint custody.
- Section 722.26b Standing of guardian or limited guardian of child to bring action for custody of child; filing of action; stay of proceedings; continuation of order in force; copy of judgment or order of disposition; assignment of judge.
- Section 722.26c Custody action by third person; conditions.
- Section 722.26d Custody action by third person; jurisdiction.
- Section 722.26e Custody action by third person; notice; powers of court.
- Section 722.27 Child custody disputes; powers of court; support order; enforcement of judgment or order; child custody while parent on deployment.
- Section 722.27a Parenting time.
- Section 722.27b Order for grandparenting time; circumstances; acknowledgment of parentage; commencement of action; procedures; affidavit; basis for entry of order; best interests of child; alternative dispute resolution; frequency of filing complaint or motion seeking order; attorney fees; order prohibiting change of domicile of child; effect of entry of order; modifying or terminating order; record; termination of grandparent's right to commence action.
- Section 722.27c Parenting coordinator.
- Section 722.28 Child custody disputes; appeal, grounds.
- Section 722.29 Transition to centralized receipt and disbursement of support and fees.
- Section 722.30 Access to records or information by noncustodial parent.
- Section 722.31 Legal residence change of child whose parental custody governed by court order.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.