2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
CHILD CUSTODY ACT OF 1970 (EXCERPT)
Chapter 722 - CHILDREN
Act 91 of 1970 - CHILD CUSTODY ACT OF 1970 (722.21 - 722.31)
Section 722.26b - Standing of guardian or limited guardian of child to bring action for custody of child; filing of action; stay of proceedings; continuation of order in force; copy of judgment or order of disposition; assignment of judge.
Act 91 of 1970
722.26b Standing of guardian or limited guardian of child to bring action for custody of child; filing of action; stay of proceedings; continuation of order in force; copy of judgment or order of disposition; assignment of judge.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a guardian or limited guardian of a child has standing to bring an action for custody of the child as provided in this act.
(2) A limited guardian of a child does not have standing to bring an action for custody of the child if the parent or parents of the child have substantially complied with a limited guardianship placement plan regarding the child entered into as required by section 5205 of the estates and protected individuals code, 1998 PA 386, MCL 700.5205, or section 424a of former 1978 PA 642.
(3) If the circuit court does not have prior continuing jurisdiction over the child, a child custody action brought by a guardian or limited guardian of the child shall be filed in the circuit court in the county in which the probate court appointed the guardian.
(4) Upon the filing of a child custody action brought by a child's guardian or limited guardian, guardianship proceedings concerning that child in the probate court are stayed until disposition of the child custody action. A probate court order concerning the guardianship of the child continues in force until superseded by a circuit court order. If the circuit court awards custody of the child, it shall send a copy of the judgment or order of disposition to the probate court in the county that appointed the child's guardian or limited guardian.
(5) If a child's guardian or limited guardian brings a child custody action, the circuit court shall request the supreme court in accordance with section 225 of the revised judicature act of 1961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.225, to assign the probate court judge who appointed that guardian or limited guardian to serve as the circuit court judge and hear the child custody action.
History: Add. 1990, Act 315, Imd. Eff. Dec. 20, 1990 ;-- Am. 1993, Act 259, Imd. Eff. Nov. 29, 1993 ;-- Am. 2000, Act 60, Eff. Apr. 1, 2000
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.