2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
CHILD PROTECTION LAW
Chapter 722 - CHILDREN
Act 238 of 1975 - CHILD PROTECTION LAW (722.621 - 722.638)
Act 238 of 1975
AN ACT to require the reporting of child abuse and neglect by certain persons; to permit the reporting of child abuse and neglect by all persons; to provide for the protection of children who are abused or neglected; to authorize limited detainment in protective custody; to authorize medical examinations; to prescribe the powers and duties of the state department of social services to prevent child abuse and neglect; to prescribe certain powers and duties of local law enforcement agencies; to safeguard and enhance the welfare of children and preserve family life; to provide for the appointment of legal counsel; to provide for the abrogation of privileged communications; to provide civil and criminal immunity for certain persons; to provide rules of evidence in certain cases; to provide for confidentiality of records; to provide for the expungement of certain records; to prescribe penalties; and to repeal certain acts and parts of acts.
History: 1975, Act 238, Eff. Oct. 1, 1975 ;-- Am. 1988, Act 372, Eff. Mar. 30, 1989
- Section 722.621 - Short title.
- Section 722.622 - Definitions.
- Section 722.623 - Individual required to report child abuse or neglect; written report; transmitting report to county department; copies to prosecuting attorney and probate court; conditions requiring transmission of report to law enforcement agency; pregnancy of or venereal disease in child less than 12 years of age; exposure to or contact with methamphetamine production.
- Section 722.623a - Knowledge or suspicion of alcohol, controlled substance, or metabolite of controlled substance in body of newborn infant; report required; exception.
- Section 722.624 - Persons permitted to report child abuse or neglect.
- Section 722.625 - Identity of reporting person; confidentiality; disclosure; immunity; good faith presumed.
- Section 722.626 - Detention of child in temporary protective custody; preliminary hearing; examinations; report; medical evaluation.
- Section 722.627 - Central registry; availability of confidential records; closed court proceeding not required; notice to individuals; amending or expunging certain reports and records; hearing; evidence; release of reports compiled by law enforcement agency; information obtained by citizen review panel; dissemination of information to pursue sanctions for dereliction of duty by agency employee.
- Section 722.627a - Availability of information, reports, and records to legislature; disclosure of or keeping confidential information as misdemeanor.
- Section 722.627b - Child fatality review team; membership; review of child fatality; training and orientation; creation of advisory committee; publication of annual report; transmission of report to governor and legislature; disclosure of information; member of review team as member for purposes of MCL 691.1407.
- Section 722.627c - Release of information from child protective services records or case in which child has died; decision by director; determination.
- Section 722.627d - Release of information by director; preliminary decision to release or deny information; extension of time period; evidence.
- Section 722.627e - Release of information by director; prohibitions.
- Section 722.627f - Release of information by director; preliminary decision to release or deny request; notice; final decision; writing; right to appeal.
- Section 722.627g - Release of information by director; individuals to be notified.
- Section 722.627h - Appeal of director's decision.
- Section 722.627i - Fee; federal assurances and waivers.
- Section 722.627j - Individual not named in central registry case as perpetrator of child abuse or neglect; documentation; receipt of central registry clearance information; request; automated systems.
- Section 722.628 - Referring report or commencing investigation; informing parent or legal guardian of investigation; duties of department; assistance of and cooperation with law enforcement officials; procedures; procedures by prosecuting attorney; cooperation of school or other institution; information as to disposition of report; exception to reporting requirement; surrender of newborn; training of employees in rights of children and families; determination of open friend of the court case.
- Section 722.628a - Execution of notices by prosecuting attorney of individuals bound over to circuit court for certain crimes; notification upon final disposition; confidentiality.
- Section 722.628b - Referral of case to prosecuting attorney; review.
- Section 722.628c - Interview with child.
- Section 722.628d - Categories and departmental response; listing in child abuse or neglect registry; report to legislature.
- Section 722.628e - Investigation checklist.
- Section 722.629 - Multidisciplinary services; biennial report; continuing education programs; dissemination of information.
- Section 722.629a - Annual report.
- Section 722.630 - Lawyer-guardian ad litem.
- Section 722.631 - Privileged communications.
- Section 722.632 - Report to law enforcement officials or probate court.
- Section 722.632a - Investigations by hospital, school, or other agency.
- Section 722.633 - Failure to report suspected child abuse or neglect; damages; violation as misdemeanor; unauthorized dissemination of information as misdemeanor; civil liability; maintaining report or record required to be expunged as misdemeanor; false report of child abuse or neglect.
- Section 722.634 - Religious beliefs.
- Section 722.635 - Repeal of MCL 722.571 to 722.575.
- Section 722.636 - Effective date.
- Section 722.637 - Submission of petition for authorization under MCL 712A.2; exception.
- Section 722.638 - Submission of petition for authorization under MCL 712A.2; conditions; request for termination of parental rights; conference.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.