2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
COUNTY PUBLIC IMPROVEMENT ACT OF 1939
Chapter 46 - COUNTY BOARDS OF COMMISSIONERS
Act 342 of 1939 - COUNTY PUBLIC IMPROVEMENT ACT OF 1939 (46.171 - 46.188)
Act 342 of 1939
AN ACT to authorize counties to establish and provide water, sewer, or sewage disposal improvements and services within or between cities, villages, townships, charter townships, or any duly authorized and established combinations thereof, within or without the county, and to establish and provide garbage or rubbish collection and disposal facilities and services for such units of government or combinations thereof, and for such purposes to acquire, purchase, construct, own, maintain, or operate water mains and trunk and connecting lines, water pumping and purification plants, sewers, sewage interceptors, sewage disposal plants, settling basins, screens and meters, and incinerators and disposal grounds; to authorize counties to establish, administer, coordinate, and regulate a system or systems of water, sewer, or sewage disposal improvements and services, and garbage and rubbish collection and disposal facilities and services, within or between such units of government; to provide methods for obtaining money for the aforesaid purposes; to authorize counties to extend by laterals and connections, and to construct, improve, repair, manage, or operate water, sewer, or sewage disposal improvements and garbage and rubbish collection and disposal facilities and services of and situated within such cities, villages, townships, charter townships, or any duly authorized and established combination thereof, and provide for the loan of money to such units of government for the purposes and the repayment thereof by agreements therefor; to provide methods for collection of rates, charges, or assessments; to authorize counties to enter into contracts with any unit of government providing for the acquisition, construction, and financing of improvements or facilities and for the pledge of the full faith and credit of each unit of government for the payment of their respective shares of the cost thereof; to authorize each unit of government having power to tax to impose taxes without limitation as to rate or amount for the payment of contract obligations in anticipation of which bonds are issued; to authorize counties to issue bonds secured by the full faith and credit pledges of each unit of government; to authorize counties to pledge their full faith and credit as additional security on such bonds and to impose taxes without limitation as to rate or amount to the extent necessary for the payment of such bonds; to authorize counties to issue revenue bonds and to pledge their full faith and credit as additional security for the payment of such revenue bonds; to validate action taken and bonds issued; and to prescribe penalties and provide remedies.
History: 1939, Act 342, Eff. Sept. 29, 1939 ;-- Am. 1941, Act 353, Eff. Jan. 10, 1942 ;-- Am. 1953, Act 186, Imd. Eff. June 9, 1953 ;-- Am. 1974, Act 46, Imd. Eff. Mar. 19, 1974 ;-- Am. 1998, Act 202, Eff. Mar. 23, 1999
- Section 46.171 - Establishment of water, sewer, and sewage disposal improvements and services; establishment of garbage and rubbish collection and disposal facilities and services; definitions.
- Section 46.171a - County public improvements; short title.
- Section 46.172 - County public improvements; contracts with governmental units, loans.
- Section 46.173 - County agency; designation; powers and duties.
- Section 46.174 - Establishment of rates, charges, or assessments.
- Section 46.174a - Violation of MCL 168.1 to 168.992 applicable to petitions; penalties.
- Section 46.175 - Agreements; rates, charges, or assessments as lien.
- Section 46.175a - Contracts authorized; methods of raising funds.
- Section 46.175b - Resolution authorizing execution of contract; notice; approval of contract; petition for referendum; special election; verification of signatures; refunding of outstanding bonds.
- Section 46.175c - Bonds generally.
- Section 46.176 - Board of review; designation by board of supervisors; hearing, review, and adjustment of rates, charges and assessments; meetings, time and place, notice.
- Section 46.177 - Self-liquidating revenue bonds.
- Section 46.178 - Administrative expenses; revolving fund.
- Section 46.179 - Advancements and loans to governmental units; conditions, provision for payment; maximum.
- Section 46.180 - Audit of financial records and accounts; disbursement of funds.
- Section 46.181 - Collection service charge; enforcement.
- Section 46.182 - Public improvements; permit from city or village legislative body not required.
- Section 46.183 - Construction of act.
- Section 46.184 - County agency; purchase, acceptance or condemnation of property; provisions applicable.
- Section 46.185 - Authority of act additional.
- Section 46.186 - Township board; action on behalf of partially incorporated city, effect.
- Section 46.187 - Joint action by adjoining counties; administrative agency, establishment, powers and duties; issuance of bonds.
- Section 46.188 - Validation of prior actions and bonds.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.