2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
COUNTY BOARDS OF COMMISSIONERS
Chapter 46 - COUNTY BOARDS OF COMMISSIONERS
Act 156 of 1851 - COUNTY BOARDS OF COMMISSIONERS (46.1 - 46.32)
Act 156 of 1851
AN ACT to define the powers and duties of the county boards of commissioners of the several counties, and to confer upon them certain local, administrative and legislative powers; and to prescribe penalties for the violation of the provisions of this act.
History: 1851, Act 156, Imd. Eff. Apr. 8, 1851 ;-- Am. 1937, Act 199, Imd. Eff. July 20, 1937 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 51, Eff. Mar. 30, 1979
- Section 46.1 - County board of commissioners; meetings; time; place; conducting business at public meeting; closed sessions; notice of meetings.
- Section 46.1a - Emergency financial manager; authority and responsibilities.
- Section 46.2 - Board of supervisors; authority to offer rewards; appointment of county paid attendants and county jail attendants; compensation; bonds.
- Section 46.3 - County board of commissioners; quorum; voting; electrical roll call system; electing chairperson and vice-chairperson; powers and duties of chairperson; signing documents; eligibility of member for other office.
- Section 46.3a - Recording names and votes of members; exception; public inspection of record.
- Section 46.4 - County clerk; duties as clerk of board of supervisors.
- Section 46.5 - Deposit of books, records, and accounts with clerk; writings available to public; designating amounts audited and allowed, and charges therefor.
- Section 46.6 - Accounts of county treasurer; annual examination by board of supervisors.
- Section 46.7 - Repair of courthouse, jail, and public buildings and offices; financing.
- Section 46.8 - Convicts' cells; preparation, duty of board of supervisors.
- Section 46.9 - Report of board proceedings; report of receipts and expenditures; annual report; publication; public inspection and copying.
- Section 46.10 - Special meetings; request; notice.
- Section 46.10b - Violation of ordinances; penalty; designation as civil infraction; act or omission constituting crime.
- Section 46.10c - Violation of MCL 168.1 to 168.992 applicable to petitions; penalties.
- Section 46.11 - Powers of county board of commissioners.
- Section 46.11a - Armistice day celebration; appropriation by board of supervisors.
- Section 46.11b - Contract or agreement to purchase lands, property, or equipment; installment payments; limitations.
- Section 46.11c - Energy conservation improvements; resolution; payment; acquisition by contracts or notes; requirements; reports; forms.
- Section 46.12 - Repealed. 1998, Act 97, Imd. Eff. May 15, 1998.
- Section 46.12a - Insurance; pension or retirement plan; effect of collective bargaining agreement; reemployment of retirant; adjusted pension or retirement benefit; payment of benefits subject to eligible domestic relations order; effect of divorce from spouse named as retirant's survivor beneficiary on election of reduced retirement allowance; employee of credit union as member of plan; written policy.
- Section 46.12b - Local councils of veterans' affairs; appropriation by board of supervisors for operation.
- Section 46.12c - Assessment of metallic mining properties; appointment of county representative by board of supervisors; information confidential.
- Section 46.12d - Transfer of functions of governmental unit to county; service credit for retirement benefit purposes.
- Section 46.12e - Transfer of county employees to state; employees' retirement benefits.
- Section 46.13 - Board of supervisors; division of county into state legislature representative districts.
- Section 46.13a - County purchasing agent and other county representatives, agents and employees; appointment by board of supervisors.
- Section 46.13b - County controller or board of auditors; appointment by board of supervisors, compensation, tenure, removal; controller as chief accounting officer, powers and duties.
- Section 46.14 - Vacating, dividing, or altering township, establishing new township, or organizing or consolidating townships; application; map; certified statement; indebtedness to state; tax levy.
- Section 46.15 - Posting and publishing notice of intended application.
- Section 46.16 - Establishment of new township; designating name, first annual meeting, and electors; powers and duties of electors; conducting business at public meeting; notice and location of first township meetings; rights and terms of township officers.
- Section 46.16a - Definitions.
- Section 46.16b - Proceedings for consolidation of 2 or more townships; petition; rejection; return of petition; submission of proposition to vote of electors; date for election.
- Section 46.16c - Notice of date for election and question to be submitted; arrangement for election; form of ballot; election expenses; canvass; return of results; approval of consolidation by resolution; effective date; election of township board; termination of proceedings.
- Section 46.16d - Coordinating committee; duty; composition; election of members; eligibility.
- Section 46.16e - Coordinating committee; duties generally.
- Section 46.16f - Ordinance, resolution, rule, or regulation of affected township.
- Section 46.16g - Succession of consolidated township to property, money, rights, credits, and records, files, books, and papers; rights, liabilities, suits, or prosecutions; tax or assessment.
- Section 46.16h - Bonded indebtedness and pledge of full faith and credit or limited full faith and credit; special assessment district; millage levy.
- Section 46.16i - Charter township; charter; continuation of incorporated village.
- Section 46.16j - Rights of township employees; layoff status; determination of necessary positions; collective bargaining; labor agreements; pension or retirement system; representative of employees or group of employees; effect of military service.
- Section 46.17 - County seat; removal; relocation.
- Section 46.18, 46.19 - Repealed. 2004, Act 85, Imd. Eff. Apr. 22, 2004.
- Section 46.20 - Money raising; referendum, notice, ballots.
- Section 46.21 - Construction of bridges over or across navigable streams; removal of obstructions; enforcement.
- Section 46.22 - Tax levy and remittance to conservation district.
- Section 46.23 - Construction of bridges; petition, contents; notice; proceedings.
- Section 46.24 - Construction of bridges over unnavigable streams; authority of board of supervisors.
- Section 46.25 - Construction, alteration or discontinuance of state or territorial roads; authority of board of supervisors.
- Section 46.26 - Construction, alteration or discontinuance of roads; petition, road survey, declaration of board of supervisors.
- Section 46.27 - Construction, alteration or discontinuance of roads; road survey minutes, recording.
- Section 46.28 - Construction, alteration or discontinuance of roads; aggrieved landowner, petition, jury trial, proceedings; verdict, notice; apportionment of damages; bond, costs; resubmission.
- Section 46.29 - Board of supervisors; orders, resolutions and determinations; recording.
- Section 46.30 - Interest of member in contract or business transaction prohibited; prohibition inapplicable to appointments and employment.
- Section 46.30a - County board of commissioners; member ineligible for other county appointment or employment; liability for compensation; action for recovery of compensation; disposition of moneys recovered; duty of prosecuting attorney; violation; penalty; certain offices or appointments not prohibited.
- Section 46.30b - County board of commissioners; compensation of chairperson; advancing funds to county officer for anticipated expenses; accounting; return of unused funds.
- Section 46.31 - Neglecting or refusing to perform duties; violations; penalties.
- Section 46.32 - Construction of act.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.