2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
MCCAULEY-TRAXLER-LAW-BOWMAN-MCNEELY LOTTERY ACT
Chapter 432 - GAMING
Act 239 of 1972 - MCCAULEY-TRAXLER-LAW-BOWMAN-MCNEELY LOTTERY ACT (432.1 - 432.47)
Act 239 of 1972
AN ACT to establish and operate a state lottery and to allow state participation in certain lottery-related joint enterprises with other sovereignties; to create a bureau of state lottery and to prescribe its powers and duties; to prescribe certain powers and duties of other state departments and agencies; to license and regulate certain sales agents; to create the state lottery fund; to provide for the distribution of lottery revenues and earnings for certain purposes; to provide for an appropriation; and to provide for remedies and penalties.
History: 1972, Act 239, Imd. Eff. Aug. 1, 1972 ;-- Am. 1981, Act 40, Imd. Eff. May 13, 1981 ;-- Am. 1987, Act 55, Imd. Eff. June 22, 1987 ;-- Am. 1996, Act 95, Eff. Mar. 31, 1997
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of the Bureau of State Lottery from the Department of Management and Budget to be an autonomous entity within the Department of Treasury, see E.R.O. No. 1991-2, compiled at MCL 12.161 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
Popular Name: Lottery Act
- Section 432.1 - Short title.
- Section 432.3 - Definitions.
- Section 432.5 - Bureau of state lottery; creation; transfer of bureau to department of management and budget as autonomous entity; commissioner as head of bureau; commissioner exempt from civil service; legislative intent.
- Section 432.7 - Commissioner; qualifications; appointment; vacancy; salary.
- Section 432.9 - State lottery; establishment and operation; maximum revenues; bids and contracts for equipment and services; prohibited activity; joint enterprises; education and treatment of compulsive gamblers.
- Section 432.11 - Rules.
- Section 432.12 - Apportionment of revenue for payment of prizes.
- Section 432.13 - Reports; monthly and annual; contents.
- Section 432.15 - Reports, studies, investigations, and recommendations.
- Section 432.16 - Compulsive gambling; study; toll-free compulsive gaming helpline number.
- Section 432.17 - Supervision and administration of lottery; licensing of lottery sales agents.
- Section 432.18 - Contracts for operation and promotion of lottery; assignment; limitations.
- Section 432.19 - Personnel; governmental assistance.
- Section 432.20 - Subpoenas.
- Section 432.23 - License as lottery sales agent; issuance; consideration of factors; receipt of completed application; issuance of certificate within certain period of time; report; nonassignable and nontransferable; bond; display of license; suspension or revocation; terminal placement; prohibited conduct; definitions.
- Section 432.25 - Single payment or installments; right to prize nonassignable; discharge of liability; payment to person pursuant to judicial order; payment to state pursuant to MCL 432.32; death of prizewinner; findings required for judicial order; rights to lottery prize payments; fee; effect of voluntary assignment on federal income tax treatment of prizewinners; disclosure of personal information.
- Section 432.27 - Price of lottery ticket; sales by person other than licensed agent; lottery ticket as gift; penalty.
- Section 432.29 - Sale or gift of lottery ticket to minor; penalty.
- Section 432.30 - Falsely making, altering, forging, uttering, passing, or counterfeiting lottery ticket; violation as felony; penalty.
- Section 432.31 - Ineligibility of bureau officers, employees, or relatives thereof.
- Section 432.32 - Liability of lottery winner to state or support arrearage; application of prize to liability; notice; hearing; application of amount to support arrearage; confidentiality; report by friend of the court; definitions.
- Section 432.33 - Unclaimed prize money; disposition.
- Section 432.34 - Repealed. 1988, Act 516, Eff. Jan. 1, 1988.
- Section 432.35 - Deposit of moneys collected from sale of lottery tickets; report; lawful functions, activities, and services; “financial institution” defined.
- Section 432.37 - Other penalties or disabilities inapplicable.
- Section 432.39 - Payment of prize to minor; discharge of liability.
- Section 432.41 - State lottery fund; creation; payment of prizes; prize structure; investment authority of state treasurer; review of status of installment prize investments; reserves; disposition of earnings.
- Section 432.43 - Appropriation of money in state lottery fund.
- Section 432.47 - Biannual and special postaudits; authority of auditor general.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.