2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
POLICE AND FIRE PROTECTION
Chapter 41 - TOWNSHIPS
Act 33 of 1951 - POLICE AND FIRE PROTECTION (41.801 - 41.813)
Act 33 of 1951
AN ACT to provide police and fire protection for townships and for certain areas in townships, certain incorporated villages, and certain cities; to authorize contracting for fire and police protection; to authorize the purchase of fire and police equipment, and the maintenance and operation of the equipment; to provide for defraying the cost of the equipment; to authorize the creation of special assessment districts and the levying and collecting of special assessments; to authorize the issuance of special assessment bonds in anticipation of the collection of special assessments and the advancement of the amount necessary to pay such bonds, and to provide for reimbursement for such advances by reassessment if necessary; to authorize the collection of fees for certain emergency services in townships and other municipalities; to authorize the creation of administrative boards and to prescribe their powers and duties; to provide for the appointment of traffic officers and to prescribe their powers and duties; and to repeal acts and parts of acts.
History: 1951, Act 33, Imd. Eff. May 8, 1951 ;-- Am. 1955, Act 221, Eff. Oct. 14, 1955 ;-- Am. 1960, Act 51, Eff. Aug. 17, 1960 ;-- Am. 1966, Act 105, Imd. Eff. June 22, 1966 ;-- Am. 1982, Act 365, Eff. Mar. 30, 1983 ;-- Am. 1989, Act 81, Imd. Eff. June 20, 1989 ;-- Am. 1990, Act 102, Imd. Eff. June 14, 1990 ;-- Am. 2004, Act 463, Imd. Eff. Dec. 28, 2004
- Section 41.801 - Purchase of police and fire motor vehicles, apparatus, equipment, and housing; appropriation; special assessment; bonds; election; estimate of cost and expenses; special assessment district; hearing; publication or posting of notice; distribution of special assessment levy; transfer or loan of money from general fund; repayment; exercise of powers; assessment after December 31, 1998; “taxable value” defined; finding of invalid assessment; bonds subject to revised municipal finance act.
- Section 41.802 - Annual appropriation.
- Section 41.803 - Proceedings relating to making, levying, and collection of special assessments, and to issuing bonds; payment of special assessments and special assessment bonds.
- Section 41.804 - Fire protection; referendum, special election, laws governing.
- Section 41.805 - Fire protection ordinances and standard fire prevention codes; adoption, publication.
- Section 41.806 - Police and fire departments; contracts for service or for maintenance and operation of equipment; delegation of powers; agreements to furnish protection to city, village, or other township.
- Section 41.806a - Emergency police or fire service; emergency ambulance and inhalator service; ordinance authorizing collection of fees.
- Section 41.807 - Repeals.
- Section 41.808 - Rights or obligations safeguarded.
- Section 41.809 - Joint meetings of township boards.
- Section 41.810 - Fire protection for townships, villages, and qualified cities; "qualified city" defined.
- Section 41.811 - Joint administrative board; creation; appointment, qualifications, and terms of members; compensation and expenses; vacancy; additional member; election of chairperson and vice-chairperson; meetings; rules of procedure; record of proceedings; quorum; removal of members; annual budget; powers and duties; board not new employer; conducting business at public meeting; availability of writings to public; "governing body" defined.
- Section 41.812 - Administrative board; appointment, qualifications, and terms of members; vacancy; expenses; continuation of prior administrative board; annual budget; powers and functions; section supplemental.
- Section 41.813 - Traffic officers; employment; compensation; joint meeting to appoint traffic officer.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.