2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
Chapter 41 - TOWNSHIPS
Act 188 of 1954 - PUBLIC IMPROVEMENTS (41.721 - 41.738)
Act 188 of 1954
AN ACT to provide for the making of certain improvements by townships; to provide for paying for the improvements by the issuance of bonds; to provide for the levying of taxes; to provide for assessing the whole or a part of the cost of improvements against property benefited; and to provide for the issuance of bonds in anticipation of the collection of special assessments and for the obligation of the township on the bonds.
History: 1954, Act 188, Imd. Eff. May 5, 1954 ;-- Am. 1974, Act 143, Imd. Eff. June 5, 1974 ;-- Am. 1995, Act 139, Imd. Eff. July 10, 1995
- Section 41.721 - Public improvements by township board; bonds; special assessments to defray costs.
- Section 41.721a - “Record owner” defined.
- Section 41.722 - Types of improvements authorized; approval; conditions.
- Section 41.723 - Written objections; petition; filing; signatures; determining record owners; determining sufficiency of petition; supplement to petition; validity of signatures.
- Section 41.724 - Plans; cost estimate; resolution; designation of special assessment district; hearing; notice; periodic redeterminations of cost; objections; adding property to special assessment district; supplemental petition; filing by railroad companies; additional notice; affidavit of service.
- Section 41.724a - Notice of hearings in special assessment proceedings.
- Section 41.725 - Approval or determination by township board; levy of special assessment.
- Section 41.726 - Filing and review of special assessment roll; hearing; notice; adjournments; objections; confirmation, referral, or annulment; endorsement; finality; action contesting assessment.
- Section 41.727 - Payment of special assessments in installments; amount of installment; extension; due dates; interest on unpaid installments; payment of future due installments; delinquent installment; penalty.
- Section 41.728 - Special assessments to constitute lien; character and effect.
- Section 41.729 - Special assessments; collection by township treasurer, report of delinquencies.
- Section 41.729a - Deferred assessment; application; evidence of hardship; ordinance; deferred assessment as recorded lien.
- Section 41.730 - Special assessments; delinquencies, reassessment.
- Section 41.731 - Division of lands; apportionment of uncollected assessments.
- Section 41.732 - Special assessment roll; insufficiency, additional pro rata assessments; surplus, refunds.
- Section 41.733 - Illegal special assessment; reassessment proceedings.
- Section 41.734 - Exempt corporations; agreement to pay assessment.
- Section 41.734a - Assessment on platted corner lots; payment of portion by governing body.
- Section 41.735 - Bonds.
- Section 41.735a - Township improvement revolving fund; advances; interest.
- Section 41.735b - Township improvement revolving fund; transfer of funds; amount.
- Section 41.735c - Special assessments to defray certain obligations.
- Section 41.736 - Public improvements; powers granted to townships.
- Section 41.737 - Scope of act.
- Section 41.738 - Use of interest earned from investments, money from bond proceeds, or money from interest and penalties on unpaid special assessment.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.