2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Chapter 324 - NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
Act 451 of 1994 - NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (324.101 - 324.90106)
451-1994-III - ARTICLE III NATURAL RESOURCES MANAGEMENT (324.30101...324.83109)
451-1994-III-3 - CHAPTER 3 MANAGEMENT OF NONRENEWABLE RESOURCES (324.60101...324.64111)
451-1994-III-3-4 - SUBCHAPTER 4 MINERAL MINING (324.63101...324.63714)
451-1994-III-3-4-631 - PART 631 RECLAMATION OF MINING LANDS (324.63101...324.63223)
451-1994-III-3-4-631-632 - PART 632 NONFERROUS METALLIC MINERAL MINING (324.63201...324.63223)
Section 324.63203 - Nonferrous metallic mineral mining; administration and enforcement; rules; regulation or control by local units of government.
Act 451 of 1994
324.63203 Nonferrous metallic mineral mining; administration and enforcement; rules; regulation or control by local units of government.
(1) The department shall administer and enforce this part in order to regulate nonferrous metallic mineral mining. In addition to other powers granted to it, the department may promulgate rules it considers necessary to carry out its duties under this part, including standards for construction, operation, closure, postclosure monitoring, reclamation, and remediation of a nonferrous metallic mineral mine. However, the department shall not promulgate any additional rules under this part after February 15, 2006.
(2) The department may do either of the following:
(a) Enter at all reasonable times in or upon a mining area for the purpose of inspecting and investigating conditions relating to the operation of a mining area. However, an investigation or inspection under this subsection shall comply with the United States constitution, the state constitution of 1963, and this section.
(b) Conduct research or enter into contracts related to mining areas and the reclamation of mining areas as may be necessary to implement this part.
(3) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), a local unit of government shall not regulate or control mining or reclamation activities that are subject to this part, including construction, operation, closure, postclosure monitoring, reclamation, and remediation activities, and does not have jurisdiction concerning the issuance of permits for those activities.
(4) A local unit of government may enact, maintain, and enforce ordinances, regulations, or resolutions affecting mining operations if the ordinances, regulations, or resolutions do not duplicate, contradict, or conflict with this part. In addition, a local unit of government may enact, maintain, and enforce ordinances, regulations, or resolutions regulating the hours at which mining operations may take place and routes used by vehicles in connection with mining operations. However, such ordinances, regulations, or resolutions shall be reasonable in accommodating customary nonferrous metallic mineral mining operations.
(5) Subsections (3) and (4) do not prohibit a local unit of government from conducting water quality monitoring.
History: Add. 2004, Act 449, Imd. Eff. Dec. 27, 2004 ;-- Am. 2005, Act 299, Imd. Eff. Dec. 21, 2005
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: NREPA
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.