2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
ANIMAL INDUSTRY ACT
Chapter 287 - ANIMAL INDUSTRY
Act 466 of 1988 - ANIMAL INDUSTRY ACT (287.701 - 287.747)
Act 466 of 1988
An act to authorize and require the appointment of a state veterinarian within the department of agriculture; to protect the human food chain and the livestock and aquaculture industries of the state through prevention, control, and eradication of infectious, contagious, or toxicological diseases of livestock and other animals; to prevent the importation of certain nonindigenous animals under certain circumstances; to safeguard the human population from certain diseases that are communicable between animals and humans; to prevent or control the contamination of livestock with certain toxic substances through certain livestock or livestock products; to provide for indemnification for livestock under certain circumstances; to provide for certain powers and duties for certain state agencies and departments; to provide for the promulgation of rules; to provide for certain hearings; to provide for remedies and penalties; and to repeal acts and parts of acts.
History: 1988, Act 466, Eff. Mar. 28, 1989 ;-- Am. 1994, Act 41, Imd. Eff. Mar. 14, 1994 ;-- Am. 1996, Act 369, Imd. Eff. July 3, 1996
- Section 287.701 - Short title; scope and construction of act.
- Section 287.702 - Meanings of words and phrases.
- Section 287.703 - Definitions; A to F.
- Section 287.704 - Definitions; F to I.
- Section 287.705 - Definitions; L to O.
- Section 287.706 - Definitions; O to W.
- Section 287.707 - State veterinarian as chief animal health official; appointment; qualifications; office facilities and laboratory services.
- Section 287.708 - State veterinarian; powers and duties generally.
- Section 287.709 - Animal affected with reportable disease or contaminated with toxic substance; moving restrictions and requirements; designation of high risk areas; exemption; conduct of bovine tuberculosis testing.
- Section 287.710 - Determination of extraordinary emergency; notice to governor; recommendations; proclamation of state emergency; expediting necessary procedures.
- Section 287.711 - Agreements to protect or enhance growth of livestock industry or human food chain.
- Section 287.711b - Official identification.
- Section 287.712 - Quarantine.
- Section 287.713 - Designating status of certain herds, flocks, or stocks as being free of specific disease.
- Section 287.713a - Terminal operation.
- Section 287.714 - Seizure, slaughter, destruction, or other disposition of livestock or domestic animals; notice; disposal of animals, animal products, and animal feeds; indemnification; appraisals and inventories; records; affidavit; appraisal certificate; annual budget; release of claim against state; applicability of right to indemnity; cleaning and disinfecting premises; repopulation of premises; cooperating and coordinating with secretary of agriculture; reports.
- Section 287.715 - Subrogation agreement and documents as condition to indemnification; civil or criminal action.
- Section 287.716 - Slaughter, destruction, or other disposition of livestock; branding and identification.
- Section 287.717 - Repealed. 1992, Act 239, Eff. Mar. 31, 1993.
- Section 287.717a - Swine; feed; inspection; quarantine required.
- Section 287.718 - Repealed. 1996, Act 369, Imd. Eff. July 3, 1996.
- Section 287.719 - Imported livestock; requirements.
- Section 287.720 - Official interstate or intrastate health certificate or official certificate of veterinary inspection; forwarding of certificate to state veterinarian; slaughter of imported livestock.
- Section 287.721 - Repealed. 1994, Act 41, Imd. Eff. Mar. 14, 1994.
- Section 287.722 - Animal imported without required official tests or documents.
- Section 287.723 - Requirements for cattle entering state; exemption under MCL 287.724 or determination by director.
- Section 287.724 - Nonnative cattle capable of reproduction; identification; exemption from MCL 287.723; notification of destination.
- Section 287.724a - Placement of nonnative cattle capable of reproduction in cattle importation lot.
- Section 287.725 - Repealed. 1992, Act 239, Eff. Mar. 31, 1993.
- Section 287.726 - Repealed. 2000, Act 323, Eff. Jan. 1, 2001.
- Section 287.726a - Additional definitions; equine infectious anemia test; repeal of section.
- Section 287.727 - Sheep.
- Section 287.728 - Goats.
- Section 287.729 - New world camelids.
- Section 287.729a - Aquaculture.
- Section 287.730 - Poultry and hatching poultry eggs.
- Section 287.730a - Privately owned cervidae.
- Section 287.730b - Privately owned cervidae; intrastate movement.
- Section 287.730c - Privately owned white-tailed deer or elk; inspection and testing for tuberculosis.
- Section 287.730d - Privately owned cervid farm; testing and inspection for tuberculosis.
- Section 287.731 - Species not to be imported; applicability of order to genetically engineered variant; wild or exotic animals; feral swine.
- Section 287.732 - San Juan rabbits.
- Section 287.733 - Livestock sold at livestock auction market; identification.
- Section 287.734 - Repealed. 1994, Act 41, Imd. Eff. Mar. 14, 1994.
- Section 287.735 - Movement of livestock and newborn from slaughter facility.
- Section 287.736-287.738 - Repealed. 1992, Act 239, Eff. Mar. 31, 1993.
- Section 287.739 - Exhibition facilities; requirements.
- Section 287.740 - Fair; veterinarian; duties of fair, exhibition, exposition, or show authority; removal of diseased livestock; responsibility of exhibitor; requirements for swine exhibition; presentation of reports, test charts, and health certificates for inspection; swine exhibited or removed in violation of section.
- Section 287.741 - Exhibition of poultry; requirements.
- Section 287.742 - Official test, vaccination, or diagnosis; identification of livestock; reporting results of official test, sample submission, or official vaccination; form; official brucellosis calfhood vaccination; tattoo; testing and surveillance for brucellosis and tuberculosis; participation in programs; collection of blood or tissue samples.
- Section 287.743 - Veterinary biologicals.
- Section 287.743a - Repealed. 2002, Act 458, Imd. Eff. June 21, 2002.
- Section 287.744 - Felonies; penalty; violation of act or rule as misdemeanor; costs and attorney fees; powers of director; failure to pay fine; civil action and penalties; remedies and sanctions as independent and cumulative powers of department.
- Section 287.745 - Rules.
- Section 287.746 - Definitions; tether or confinement of farm animal; prohibitions; exceptions; violation of section; injunction; construction of section; effective date of certain provisions.
- Section 287.747 - Repealed. 2000, Act 323, Imd. Eff. Oct. 31, 2000.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.