2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
MICHIGAN STATE POLICE
Chapter 28 - MICHIGAN STATE POLICE
Act 59 of 1935 - MICHIGAN STATE POLICE (28.1 - 28.16)
Act 59 of 1935
AN ACT to provide for the public safety; to create the Michigan state police, and provide for the organization thereof; to transfer thereto the offices, duties and powers of the state fire marshal, the state oil inspector, the department of the Michigan state police as heretofore organized, and the department of public safety; to create the office of commissioner of the Michigan state police; to provide for an acting commissioner and for the appointment of the officers and members of said department; to prescribe their powers, duties, and immunities; to provide the manner of fixing their compensation; to provide for their removal from office; and to repeal Act No. 26 of the Public Acts of 1919, being sections 556 to 562, inclusive, of the Compiled Laws of 1929, and Act No. 123 of the Public Acts of 1921, as amended, being sections 545 to 555, inclusive, of the Compiled Laws of 1929.
History: 1935, Act 59, Imd. Eff. May 17, 1935 ;-- Am. 1939, Act 152, Eff. Sept. 29, 1939
- Section 28.1 - Michigan state police; definitions.
- Section 28.2 - Michigan state police; creation; director, appointment, salary, oath of office, location of department.
- Section 28.3 - Acting commissioner; designation, compensation, length of service.
- Section 28.4 - Uniformed personnel and detective personnel; organization; highway patrol; classification of department members as officers and civilian employees; qualifications of officers; oath of office; hearing; dismissal.
- Section 28.5 - Repealed. 2006, Act 190, Imd. Eff. June 19, 2006.
- Section 28.6 - Commissioner and officers; powers and duties generally.
- Section 28.6a - Conservation officers; appointment by commissioner as state police officers.
- Section 28.6b - Repealed. 2000, Act 197, Imd. Eff. June 22, 2000.
- Section 28.6c - Limited arrest powers for certain security personnel; authorization; exercise; rescission; firearms; exclusion of security personnel from pension, accident, and disability plan.
- Section 28.6d - Motor carrier enforcement; appointment of officers with limited arrest powers; firearms; circumstances permitting arrest without warrant; officer not entitled to membership in state police pension, accident, and disability plan or similar program.
- Section 28.6e - Law enforcement officer of Michigan Indian tribal police force; appointment; compensation; participation in pension or insurance plan; definitions.
- Section 28.7 - Duties of director.
- Section 28.7a - Repealed. 1964, Act 256, Eff. Aug. 28, 1964.
- Section 28.7b - Quarters and boarding.
- Section 28.8 - Officers; grades; powers and duties; transportation of officers and civilian employees.
- Section 28.9 - Rules and regulations of department adopted by commissioner.
- Section 28.10 - Repealed. 2002, Act 324, Imd. Eff. May 23, 2002.
- Section 28.11 - Repealed. 1952, Act 253, Eff. Sept. 18, 1952.
- Section 28.12 - Trial board; members, powers; powers of commissioner as presiding officer.
- Section 28.12a - Injury to person or property caused by negligent operation of motor vehicle by state police officer or employee; reimbursement.
- Section 28.13 - Incumbents; continuation; construction of act.
- Section 28.14 - Disposition of fees.
- Section 28.15 - Biennial report of commissioner to governor.
- Section 28.16 - Firearms safety program; public service announcements; “weapon free school zones” defined; availability of program and public service announcements.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.