2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
Chapter 28 - MICHIGAN STATE POLICE
Act 372 of 1927 - FIREARMS (28.421 - 28.435)
Act 372 of 1927
AN ACT to regulate and license the selling, purchasing, possessing, and carrying of certain firearms and gas ejecting devices; to prohibit the buying, selling, or carrying of certain firearms and gas ejecting devices without a license or other authorization; to provide for the forfeiture of firearms under certain circumstances; to provide for penalties and remedies; to provide immunity from civil liability under certain circumstances; to prescribe the powers and duties of certain state and local agencies; to prohibit certain conduct against individuals who apply for or receive a license to carry a concealed pistol; to make appropriations; to prescribe certain conditions for the appropriations; and to repeal all acts and parts of acts inconsistent with this act.
History: 1927, Act 372, Eff. Sept. 5, 1927 ;-- Am. 1929, Act 206, Imd. Eff. May 20, 1929 ;-- Am. 1931, Act 333, Imd. Eff. June 16, 1931 ;-- Am. 1980, Act 345, Eff. Mar. 31, 1981 ;-- Am. 1990, Act 320, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991 ;-- Am. 2000, Act 265, Imd. Eff. June 29, 2000 ;-- Am. 2000, Act 381, Eff. July 1, 2001
Popular Name: CCW
Popular Name: Concealed Weapons
Popular Name: CPL
Popular Name: Right to Carry
Popular Name: Shall Issue
- Section 28.421 - Definitions.
- Section 28.421a - Concealed pistol licenses; issuance; creation of standardized system.
- Section 28.422 - License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.
- Section 28.422a - Individual licensed under MCL 28.425b; completion of record by seller; duties of purchaser; noncompliance as state civil infraction; penalty; forwarding copy of record to state police; exemption; materially false statement as felony; penalty; rules.
- Section 28.422b - Entry of order or disposition into law enforcement information network; written notice; person subject of order; request to amend inaccuracy; notice of grant or denial of request; hearing; exemption from public disclosure; entry of personal protection order; service required.
- Section 28.423 - Repealed. 2000, Act 381, Eff. July 1, 2001.
- Section 28.424 - Restoration of rights by concealed weapons licensing board; application; fee; determination; circumstances; judicial review.
- Section 28.425 - Concealed pistol application kits.
- Section 28.425a - Concealed weapon licensing board; membership; quorum; voting; clerk; authority and duties; panel; investigation of license applicant; temporary license; compilation of firearms laws by legislative service bureau; distribution; statement.
- Section 28.425b - License application; fee; verification of requirements; determination; circumstances for issuance; fingerprints; issuance or denial; temporary license; suspension or revocation of license; definitions.
- Section 28.425c - License; form; authorized conduct.
- Section 28.425d - Denial or failure to issue license; appeal.
- Section 28.425e - Database; report.
- Section 28.425f - Concealed pistol license; possession; disclosure to police officer; violation; penalty; seizure; forfeiture; "peace officer" defined.
- Section 28.425g - Pistol subject to seizure and forfeiture.
- Section 28.425h - Expiration of license issued under former law; renewal license.
- Section 28.425i - Instruction or training; liability.
- Section 28.425j - Pistol training or safety program; conditions.
- Section 28.425k - Acceptance of license as implied consent to submit to chemical analysis of breath, blood, or urine.
- Section 28.425 - License; validity; duration; renewal; waiver of educational requirements; fingerprints.
- Section 28.425m - Notification of criminal charge; report.
- Section 28.425n - Other license or permit; limitations by employer prohibited.
- Section 28.425o - Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.
- Section 28.425v - Concealed weapon enforcement fund; creation; disposition of funds; lapse; expenditures.
- Section 28.425w - Appropriation; amount; purpose; total state spending; appropriations and expenditures subject to MCL 18.1101 to 18.1594.
- Section 28.426 - Issuance of license; conditions.
- Section 28.426a - Licenses to equip premises or vehicles with gas ejecting devices; rules; license to manufacture or sell gas ejecting or emitting weapon, cartridge, or device; “gas ejecting device” defined; license not required for self-defense spray device.
- Section 28.427 - Concealed weapons licenses; expiration.
- Section 28.428 - Revocation of licenses; grounds; hearing; suspension; order; notice.
- Section 28.429 - Repealed. 2008, Act 195, Eff. Jan. 7, 2009.
- Section 28.429a - Duties of state police; questionnaire; pamphlet.
- Section 28.429b - Basic pistol safety pamphlet and questionnaires; printing and distribution.
- Section 28.429c - Distribution of basic pistol safety pamphlet.
- Section 28.429d - Repealed. 2000, Act 381, Eff. July 1, 2001.
- Section 28.430 - Theft of firearm; report required; failure to report theft as civil violation; penalty.
- Section 28.431 - Review of criminal histories; report; rules.
- Section 28.432 - Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; citation as “Janet Kukuk act”.
- Section 28.432a - Persons to whom requirements inapplicable; "local corrections officer" defined.
- Section 28.432b - Signaling devices to which MCL 28.422 inapplicable.
- Section 28.432c - Repealed. 2000, Act 381, Eff. July 1, 2001.
- Section 28.433 - Unlawful possession of weapon; complaint, search warrant, seizure.
- Section 28.434 - Unlawful possession; weapon forfeited to state; disposal; immunity.
- Section 28.435 - Sale of firearms by federally licensed firearms dealer; sale of trigger lock or secured container; exceptions; brochure or pamphlet; statement of compliance; notice of liability; action by political subdivision against firearm or ammunition producer prohibited; rights of state attorney general; exceptions; effect of subsections (9) through (11); violation; penalties; definitions.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.