2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
PUBLIC SAFETY SOLICITATION ACT (EXCERPT)
Chapter 14 - ATTORNEY GENERAL
Act 298 of 1992 - PUBLIC SAFETY SOLICITATION ACT (14.301 - 14.327)
Section 14.303 - Soliciting contributions; registration of organization with attorney general; form; contents; reporting category distributions; registration fee; effective date, expiration, and renewal of registration.
Act 298 of 1992
14.303 Soliciting contributions; registration of organization with attorney general; form; contents; reporting category distributions; registration fee; effective date, expiration, and renewal of registration.
(1) Except as provided in section 4, a person shall not solicit contributions within this state, or receive funds solicited within this state on its behalf, unless the person is an organization and has first registered with the attorney general. An organization shall register in writing on a form prescribed by the attorney general. The registration form shall contain all of the following:
(a) The name of the organization and the name or names under which it will solicit or receive contributions.
(b) The principal address of the organization and the address of all other offices of the organization in this state. If the organization does not maintain a principal office in this state, the registration form shall contain the name and address of the person having custody of its financial records.
(c) The location and date when the organization was legally established, the form of its organization, and a reference to any determination of its tax exempt status under the federal internal revenue code.
(d) The names and business addresses of the officers, directors, trustees, the principal executive officer, and, if applicable, the resident agent.
(e) The specific areas for which the contributions to be solicited or received will be used. The areas of expenditure shall be broken down into 1 or more of the following categories:
(ii) Political purposes and campaign contributions.
(iii) Membership services.
(iv) Charitable contributions.
(v) Education and training.
(f) If the organization is existing on the effective date of this act or files a renewal registration pursuant to subsection (6), it shall include a financial statement for the preceding fiscal year that provides the percentage range as required by subsection (2) of the total distributions by the categories as required by subdivision (e).
(g) The fiscal year of the organization.
(h) A copy of any written consent required under section 9(3).
(2) The category distributions of an organization shall be reported by 1 of the following percentage ranges:
(3) The registration form shall be accompanied by a registration fee of $25.00. The revenue collected under this subsection shall be deposited in the state treasury and credited to the general fund.
(4) The registration shall be effective immediately upon receipt by the attorney general of the completed registration form and the registration fee.
(5) A registration filed under this section shall expire 6 months after the closing date of the organization's fiscal year.
(6) A registration filed under this section may be renewed for an additional 1-year period by filing a renewal registration in the form prescribed by the attorney general and payment of a renewal fee of $25.00 before the expiration of the existing registration. The information required in the renewal form shall not exceed the information required by this section.
History: 1992, Act 298, Imd. Eff. Dec. 18, 1992
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.