2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
PUBLIC SAFETY SOLICITATION ACT
Chapter 14 - ATTORNEY GENERAL
Act 298 of 1992 - PUBLIC SAFETY SOLICITATION ACT (14.301 - 14.327)
Act 298 of 1992
An act to regulate the solicitation of contributions by persons affiliated with or organized for the benefit of public safety organizations; to provide for registration and disclosure statements; to prescribe the powers and duties of certain state agencies and officials; to prohibit certain activities; and to prescribe remedies and penalties.
History: 1992, Act 298, Imd. Eff. Dec. 18, 1992
- Section 14.301 - Short title.
- Section 14.302 - Definitions.
- Section 14.303 - Soliciting contributions; registration of organization with attorney general; form; contents; reporting category distributions; registration fee; effective date, expiration, and renewal of registration.
- Section 14.304 - Soliciting contributions by professional fund-raiser; registration with attorney general; form; contents; surety bond; registration fee; effective date, expiration, and renewal of registration; maintaining list of individuals making solicitations.
- Section 14.305 - Notice of change of information.
- Section 14.306 - Public inspection of registration forms and documents; exemption.
- Section 14.307 - Registration of out-of-state organization or professional fund-raiser; designation of resident agent required.
- Section 14.308 - Service of process.
- Section 14.309 - Use of name, symbol, or statement.
- Section 14.310 - Diversion of solicited funds.
- Section 14.311 - Misrepresenting, misleading, making false statements, using other than legal name, or taking advantage of inability to protect interests; recording telephone communications; identification as public safety officer or member of organization; making face-to-face solicitations.
- Section 14.312 - Disclosure statement; providing percentage ranges upon request.
- Section 14.313 - Information printed on written request for payment.
- Section 14.314 - Exemptions.
- Section 14.315 - Toll-free telephone number; establishment; purpose.
- Section 14.316 - Authority of attorney general to bring action in court; notice; opportunity to cease and desist; forwarding notice of violation and information; civil penalty.
- Section 14.317 - Assurance of discontinuance of method, act, or practice; filing; enforcement; modification.
- Section 14.318 - Subpoena to appear before attorney general; producing documentary material; service and contents of notice; extending reporting date; modifying or setting aside notice and subpoena; confidentiality of records.
- Section 14.319 - Compliance with terms of notice; prohibited conduct; civil penalty; order to enforce compliance; enjoining person from soliciting contributions.
- Section 14.320 - Class action.
- Section 14.321 - Actions to obtain declaratory judgment or injunctions; action to recover actual damages; class action; appointing receiver or ordering sequestration of assets; cost of notice; limitation on damages resulting from bona fide error; statute of limitations; asserting defense or counterclaim.
- Section 14.322 - Commencement of action; mailing copy of complaint, judgment, decree, or order; proof of violation of permanent injunction.
- Section 14.323 - Filing fees not required; conditions.
- Section 14.324 - Law enforcement officer; aid and assistance in investigation.
- Section 14.325 - Prosecuting attorney; powers and authority.
- Section 14.326 - Attorney general or local prosecutors; powers or duties not limited or restricted by act.
- Section 14.327 - Conditional effective date.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.