2006 Michigan Compiled Laws - Mich. Comp. Laws § 141.898 Discontinuance of assessment; referendum.
Act 244 of 1989
141.898 Discontinuance of assessment; referendum.
(1) A regional marketing organization shall conduct a referendum on whether an assessment levied under a tourism marketing program shall be discontinued if both of the following requirements are met:
(a) The tourism marketing program levying the assessment has been in effect for 2 years or more.
(b) Forty percent or more of the total number of owners in the regional assessment district, or owners representing 40% or more of the total number of rooms in transient facilities within the regional assessment district, file with the regional marketing organization a written request for a referendum under this section.
(2) The regional marketing organization shall conduct a written referendum, by mail or in person, among all owners within 60 days after receipt of the written request for a referendum under subsection (1). For the purpose of the referendum, each owner has 1 vote for each room in the owner's transient facility.
(3) If a majority of the votes actually cast at the referendum approves the discontinuance of the assessment, the assessment under a tourism marketing program shall be discontinued on the first day of the month that is more than 60 days after certification by the regional marketing organization of the results of the referendum.
(4) The discontinuance of an assessment under this section does not prevent a regional marketing organization from filing and serving a new tourism marketing program notice under section 3 during or after the 60-day period under subsection (3).
(5) If a referendum held under this section does not result in the discontinuance of the assessment under a tourism marketing program, a further referendum on the discontinuance of that assessment shall not be held until the expiration of 1 year after the date of the referendum under this section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.