2019 Massachusetts General Laws
Part II - Real and Personal Property and Domestic Relations
Title II - Descent and Distribution, Wills, Estates of Deceased Persons and Absentees, Guardianship, Conservatorship and Trusts
Chapter 203e - Massachusetts Uniform Trust Code
Article 1 - General Provisions and Definitions
Section 108 - Principal Place of Administration
Section 108. Principal place of administration
(a) Without precluding other means for establishing a sufficient connection with the designated jurisdiction, terms of a trust designating the principal place of administration shall be valid and controlling if:
(1) a trustee's principal place of business is located in, or a trustee is a resident of, the designated jurisdiction; or
(2) all or part of the administration occurs in the designated jurisdiction.
(b) Without precluding the right of a court to order, approve or disapprove a transfer, the trustee may, but has no affirmative duty to, transfer the trust's principal place of administration to another state or to a jurisdiction outside of the United States.
(c) The trustee shall notify the qualified beneficiaries of a proposed transfer of a trust's principal place of administration not less than 60 days before initiating the transfer. The notice of proposed transfer shall include:
(1) the name of the jurisdiction to which the principal place of administration is to be transferred;
(2) the address and telephone number at the new location at which the trustee can be contacted;
(3) an explanation of the reasons for the proposed transfer;
(4) the date on which the proposed transfer is anticipated to occur; and
(5) the date, not less than 60 days after the giving of the notice, by which the qualified beneficiary must notify the trustee of an objection to the proposed transfer.
(d) The authority of a trustee under this section to transfer a trust's principal place of administration shall terminate if a qualified beneficiary notifies the trustee of an objection to the proposed transfer on or before the date specified in the notice.