2022 Maryland Statutes
Title 2 - General Assembly
Subtitle 1 - Definitions; General Provisions
Section 2-107 - Restrictions on Relative Employment
(a) In this section, “relative” means:
(1) a spouse;
(2) a parent or stepparent;
(3) a sibling or step sibling;
(4) a child, stepchild, foster child, or ward;
(5) a mother–in–law or father–in–law;
(6) a son–in–law or daughter–in–law;
(7) a grandparent; or
(8) a grandchild.
(b) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a member of the General Assembly may not employ for legislative business the member’s own relative, or the relative of another member from the same legislative district, using public funds over which the member has direct control.
(2) Paragraph (1) of this subsection does not apply to a member of the General Assembly who:
(i) has a physical impairment that necessitates the employment of a particular relative; and
(ii) discloses the employment to the Joint Committee on Legislative Ethics.