2021 Maryland Statutes
Title 26 - Vehicle Laws -- Parties and Procedure on Citation, Arrest, Trial, and Appeal
Subtitle 4 - Venue, Court Procedure, Bail, and Charging Documents
Section 26-409 - When Copy of Citation Is Sufficient Charging Document; Case to Be Tried Only on Proper Charging Document
(a) The form of traffic citation provided for under § 1–605 of the Courts Article is a sufficient charging document for the prosecution of any offense for which a traffic citation may be issued under this title if:
(1) It includes the information required under the laws of this State;
(2) It is executed by the police officer issuing the citation as required under § 1–605 of the Courts Article; and
(3) It is filed with the District Court as required under § 1–605 of the Courts Article.
(b) The trial court may try a case for which a charge is made under this title only on:
(1) A traffic citation that meets the requirements of a charging document under subsection (a) of this section;
(2) A warrant, information, or indictment; or
(3) Any other charging document authorized by a rule adopted by the Court of Appeals with the concurrence of the Administration.