2021 Maryland Statutes
Title 22 - Vehicle Laws -- Equipment of Vehicles
Subtitle 4 - Other Equipment
Section 22-404 - Windshields Must Be Unobstructed and Equipped With Wipers
(a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, card, sticker, or other nontransparent material on the front windshield, sidewings, or side or rear windows of the vehicle other than a certificate or other paper either required to be so displayed by law or authorized by the Administrator.
(b) This section does not apply to:
(1) Nontransparent material placed on the windshield of a motor vehicle above the AS1 line or not lower than 5 inches from the top of the windshield, whichever is less, if the materials are placed so as not to interfere with the driver’s clear view of traffic;
(2) Materials placed on the windshield or rear window, within a 7 inch square area in the lower corner, if the materials are placed so as not to interfere with the driver’s clear view of traffic;
(3) Materials placed on the side windows of a Class A (passenger) vehicle to the rear of the driver, if the materials are placed so as not to interfere with the driver’s clear view of traffic;
(4) Materials placed on the side or rear windows of a Class M (multipurpose) vehicle or Class E (truck) vehicle provided that the vehicle is equipped with two outside rearview mirrors, one each attached to the right and left side of the vehicle;
(5) Materials placed on the windshield in compliance with security measures required by a federal or State government agency, provided that the decal is affixed to the vehicle in accordance with the issuing agency’s guidelines;
(6) Direction, destination, or termini signs on any passenger common carrier motor vehicle; or
(7) An electronic toll collection device placed on the windshield of a vehicle in accordance with the guidelines established by the Maryland Transportation Authority.
(c) The windshield on every motor vehicle, except motorcycles, shall be equipped with a device for clearing and cleaning rain, snow, or other moisture from the windshield, which device shall be constructed to be controlled or operated by the driver of the vehicle.
(d) Every windshield wiper on a motor vehicle shall be maintained in good working order.
(e) (1) If a motor vehicle was originally equipped with windshield washers, the washers shall be operational and capable of containing washer fluid and distributing washer fluid onto the windshield.
(2) A windshield washer shall be constructed to be controlled or operated by the driver of the vehicle.