2021 Maryland Statutes
Title 6 - Attorney General
Subtitle 1 - Definitions; General Provisions
Section 6-109 - Resident Agents
(a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Department” means the Department of Assessments and Taxation.
(3) “Governing body” means the head, board, council, board of directors, or other governing body of a State agency.
(b) (1) A State agency not represented by the Attorney General shall designate a citizen of this State who resides in this State, a Maryland corporation, or an officer of the State agency as its resident agent and change its resident agent by filing for record with the Department a certified copy of a resolution of its governing body that authorizes the designation or change.
(2) A State agency may change the address for its resident agent by filing for record with the Department a statement of the change signed by the chairman or other principal officer of its governing body.
(c) (1) A resident agent whose address changes may notify the Department by filing for record with the Department a statement of the change signed by or for the resident agent.
(2) A resident agent may resign by filing with the Department a statement of resignation.
(d) There is no fee for a filing under this section.
(e) A designation, change of agent, change of address, or resignation is effective as provided in the Corporations and Associations Article for a corporate resident agent.
(f) (1) Service of process on a resident agent of a State agency constitutes effective service of process under the Maryland Rules on the State agency in an action, suit, or proceeding that is pending, filed, or instituted against the State agency.
(2) Any notice required by law to be served by personal service on a resident agent or other agent or officer of a State agency may be served in the manner provided by the Maryland Rules relating to service of process on State agencies.
(3) Service under the Maryland Rules is equivalent to personal service on a resident agent or other agent or officer of a State agency.