2021 Maryland Statutes
Title 8 - Landlord and Tenant
Subtitle 2 - Residential Leases
Section 8-212.1 - Liability of Military Personnel Receiving Certain Orders
(a) In this section, “change of assignment” includes:
(1) Permanent change of station orders;
(2) Temporary duty orders for a period exceeding 90 days;
(3) Orders requiring a person to move into quarters located on a military installation; and
(4) A release from active duty, including:
(ii) Separation or discharge under honorable conditions; and
(iii) Demobilization of an activated reservist or a member of the National Guard who was serving on active duty orders for at least 180 consecutive days.
(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, if a person who is on active duty with the United States military, or the person’s spouse, enters into a residential lease of property and the person subsequently receives a change of assignment, before or after occupying the property, any liability of the person, or the person’s spouse, for rent under the lease may not exceed:
(1) Any rent or lawful charges then due and payable plus 30 days’ rent after written notice and proof of the change of assignment is given to the landlord; and
(2) The cost of repairing damage to the premises caused by an act or omission of the tenant.