2021 Maryland Statutes
Health - General
Title 21 - Food, Drugs, and Cosmetics
Subtitle 3 - Food Establishments
Part IV - Miscellaneous Provisions
Section 21-321 - Construction, Remodeling, or Alterations
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d) of this section, before a food establishment is constructed, remodeled, or materially altered, or before an existing building or structure is converted or remodeled for use as a food establishment, properly prepared plans and specifications for the construction, remodeling, or alteration of a food establishment shall be submitted to:
(1) The Department, if the food establishment is:
(i) A food processing plant; or
(ii) A chain or franchise food service facility planning to construct 2 or more facilities in the State from a single uniform set of plans; or
(2) Except as provided in item (1)(ii) of this subsection, for food service facilities, to the appropriate county health department.
(b) The plans or specifications required under subsection (a) of this section shall include:
(1) Layout and arrangement of work areas;
(2) Construction materials;
(3) The location, size, manufacturer, and model number of equipment and facilities; and
(4) Any other information that may be required for the proper review of the plans and specifications.
(c) Unless the required plans and specifications are approved by the Department, a person may not:
(1) Construct, remodel, or alter a food establishment; or
(2) Convert or remodel an existing building or structure for use as a food establishment.
(d) The provisions of this section do not apply to the construction, remodeling, or alteration of any areas in a food establishment used solely for office space, or recreational areas.