2021 Maryland Statutes
Health - General
Title 20 - Miscellaneous Health Provisions
Subtitle 19 - Subcutaneous Implanting of Identification Device
Section 20-1901 - Definitions
(a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) (1) “Identification device” means an item, an application, or a product that is passively or actively capable of transmitting personal information, including devices using radio frequency technology.
(2) “Identification device” does not include an item, an application, or a product that is used in the diagnosis, monitoring, treatment, or prevention of a health condition.
(c) “Personal information” includes the following data elements to the extent that the data elements are used alone or in conjunction with other information used to identify an individual:
(1) First or last name;
(3) Telephone number;
(4) E–mail, Internet Protocol, or website address;
(5) Date of birth;
(6) Driver’s license number or identification card number;
(7) Bank, credit card, or other financial account number;
(8) Any unique personal identifier contained or encoded on a health insurance, health benefit, or benefit card or record issued in conjunction with a government–supported aid program;
(10) Ethnicity or nationality;
(12) Fingerprint or other biometric identifier;
(13) Social Security number; and
(14) Any other unique personal identifier.
(d) “Require, coerce, or compel” includes the use of physical violence, threat, intimidation, retaliation, the conditioning of any private or public benefit, including employment, promotion, or other employment benefit, and any other means to cause a reasonable individual of ordinary susceptibilities to acquiesce when the individual otherwise would not.
(e) “Subcutaneous” means existing, performed, or introduced under or on the skin.