2021 Maryland Statutes
Health - General
Title 18 - Disease Prevention
Subtitle 3 - Specific Diseases
Part VI - Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (Aids)
Section 18-333 - Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (Aids) Research and Information Program
(a) (1) The Secretary shall establish and promote a statewide public information program on acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS).
(2) The public information program shall:
(i) Attempt to reach individuals at risk for contracting AIDS;
(ii) Encourage those individuals at risk for contracting AIDS to take the necessary precautions to prevent transmission of the HTLV-III virus; and
(iii) Include any other aspects that the Secretary considers appropriate.
(b) The Secretary shall establish a program to train physicians, physician’s assistants, nurses, and other health professionals in:
(1) Diagnosing and treating AIDS or other conditions associated with AIDS; and
(2) Methods to prevent the transmission of the HTLV-III virus.
(c) To carry out this section, the Secretary:
(1) On request, shall receive the help of or information from any agency of this State or of a political subdivision; and
(2) May contract for any necessary services.
(d) The Secretary may set a sliding fee schedule for services provided under this section.