2020 Maryland Statutes
Title 16 - Vehicle Laws -- Drivers' Licenses
Subtitle 1 - Issuance, Expiration, and Renewal of Licenses
Section 16-118 - Medical Advisory Board
(a) (1) The Administrator may appoint a Medical Advisory Board of qualified physicians and optometrists to enable the Administration to comply properly with the provisions of this title regarding the physical and mental condition of individuals who seek to drive on highways in this State.
(2) The Administrator also may appoint a medical secretary to serve the Board.
(b) Each member of the Medical Advisory Board is entitled to compensation for each meeting that the member attends. The compensation shall be paid out of funds appropriated to the Administration.
(c) (1) The Administrator may refer to the Medical Advisory Board, for an advisory opinion, the case of any licensee or applicant for a license, if the Administrator has good cause to believe that the driving of a vehicle by him would be contrary to public safety and welfare because of an existing or suspected mental or physical disability.
(2) The Board shall meet at the pleasure of the Administrator.
(d) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the records of the Medical Advisory Board:
(i) Are confidential;
(ii) May be disclosed only on court order; and
(iii) May be used only to determine the qualifications of an individual to drive.
(2) The Administration may use information in its records for the purpose of driver safety research, provided that personal information is not published or disclosed.
(3) The Administration may contract with third parties to assist with driver safety research.
(4) A person may not use these records for any other purpose.