2020 Maryland Statutes
State Finance and Procurement
Division I - State Finance
Title 3 - Budget and Management
Subtitle 10 - Managing for Results
Section 3-1002 - In General
(a) The Department shall review and update as necessary:
(1) the goals developed in the managing for results State comprehensive plan; and
(2) the plan’s objectives and performance measures.
(b) Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, on or before July 1 of each year an agency, in conjunction with the Department, shall select no more than six agency goals that are:
(1) compatible with the managing for results State comprehensive plan; or
(2) consistent with the agency’s mission if the goals identified in the managing for results State comprehensive plan do not apply to the agency.
(c) Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, with its annual budget submission to the Department, an agency shall develop and submit to the Department as part of the budget process a managing for results agency strategic plan that shall include:
(1) a mission statement;
(2) a description of the agency’s goals;
(3) a description of the objectives and performance measures implemented at the program level to achieve the agency’s goals, including:
(i) performance measure statistics for at least the 2 most recently completed fiscal years; and
(ii) performance measure estimates for the current year appropriation and budget request year;
(4) a discussion of the agency’s progress in meeting its goals and performance measures and any challenges the agency has faced in working toward its goals;
(5) a description of the internal controls established to ensure reliability of the data collected for each performance measure; and
(6) an identification of the customers and stakeholders served.
(d) An agency subject to this subtitle shall maintain documentation of the internal controls established to evaluate performance measures that shall be subject to review by the State, including the Office of Legislative Audits.
(e) (1) The Department shall provide a report to the Senate Budget and Taxation Committee and House Appropriations Committee in January of each year on the contents of the State comprehensive plan and the State’s progress toward the goals outlined in the plan.
(2) The report shall include details on each agency’s progress.
(3) The Senate Budget and Taxation Committee and House Appropriations Committee may hold hearings after receiving the report.
(4) The first report shall be submitted on or before January 31, 2005 and shall include a presentation of the first managing for results State comprehensive plan.