2020 Maryland Statutes
Title 5 - Controlled Dangerous Substances, Prescriptions, and Other Substances
Subtitle 8 - Criminal Procedure
Section 5-802 - Statewide Jurisdiction for Officers
(a) (1) Notwithstanding any other law, a law enforcement officer of the Maryland Transportation Authority Police, a municipal corporation, or a county may investigate and otherwise enforce this title and Title 12 of the Criminal Procedure Article throughout the State without any limitation as to jurisdiction and to the same extent as a law enforcement officer of the Department of State Police.
(2) The authority granted in paragraph (1) of this subsection may be exercised only in accordance with regulations that the Secretary of the State Police adopts.
(3) The regulations are not subject to Title 10, Subtitle 1 of the State Government Article.
(b) If action is taken under the authority granted in this section, notification of an investigation or enforcement action shall be made:
(1) in a municipal corporation, to the chief of police or designee of the chief of police;
(2) in a county that has a county police department, to the chief of police or designee of the chief of police;
(3) in a county without a police department, to the sheriff or designee of the sheriff;
(4) in Baltimore City, to the Police Commissioner or the Police Commissioner’s designee; and
(5) on property owned, leased, or operated by or under the control of the Maryland Transportation Authority, the Maryland Aviation Administration, or the Maryland Port Administration, to the chief of police of the Maryland Transportation Authority or the chief’s designee.
(c) When acting under the authority granted in this section, a law enforcement officer:
(1) in addition to any other immunities and exemptions to which the officer may be entitled, has the immunities from liability and exemptions accorded to a law enforcement officer of the Department of State Police; but
(2) remains an employee of the officer’s employing agency.