2019 Maryland Code
State Personnel and Pensions
Division I - State Personnel
Title 10 - Employee Training Program; Awards and Benefits
Subtitle 2 - Incentive Awards in the Executive Branch
§ 10-204. Incentive Performance Awards Program
(a) There is an Incentive Performance Awards Program for employees.
(b) (1) An incentive performance award for extraordinary service may be awarded for extraordinary performance in the public interest in connection with an employee's State employment.
(2) For extraordinary service, the head of a principal unit may make the following awards to an employee or members of a group of employees in that unit:
(i) cash of not more than $300;
(ii) a gift of not more than $300 in value;
(iii) paid administrative leave of not more than 3 days; or
(iv) any combination of cash, gift, and leave of not more than $300 in value.
(3) An employee may only receive one incentive performance award under this subsection in any 12-month period.
(c) (1) An incentive performance award for outstanding service in connection with State employment over a sustained period or a special State project may be awarded for:
(i) exceptional performance that exceeds the knowledge, skill, or ability required by the employee's position; or
(ii) exceptionally meritorious acts or services in the public interest.
(2) For outstanding service, the head of a principal unit may make a cash award of not more than $3,000 to an employee of that unit.
(3) An employee may only receive one incentive performance award under this subsection in any 24-month period.
(d) (1) Before making an award, the head of a principal unit shall:
(i) establish criteria for administering the Incentive Performance Awards Program, including standards of eligibility; and
(ii) ensure that the employees in the unit have copies of the criteria.
(2) The head of the unit may amend the criteria at any time, but an amendment is not effective until the employees in the unit have been sent a copy of the amendment.
(e) The head of a principal unit may delegate to any subordinate supervising unit head the authority to make awards under this section.