2018 Maryland Code
Title 21 - Vehicle Laws -- Rules of the Road
Subtitle 11 - Miscellaneous Rules
§ 21-1124. Prohibition against use of wireless communication device while driving by minor holding learner's permit or provisional license
(a) Definitions. --
(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) "9-1-1 system" has the meaning stated in § 1-301 of the Public Safety Article.
(3) "Wireless communication device" means a handheld or hands-free device used to access a wireless telephone service.
(b) Applicability of section. -- This section does not apply to the use of a wireless communication device:
(1) To contact a 9-1-1 system; or
(2) As a text messaging device as defined in § 21-1124.1 of this subtitle.
(c) Prohibition. -- An individual who is under the age of 18 years may not use a wireless communication device while operating a motor vehicle.
(d) Suspension of license. --
(1) If the Administration receives satisfactory evidence that an individual has violated this section, the Administration:
(i) May suspend the individual's driver's license for not more than 90 days; and
(ii) May issue a restricted license for the period of suspension that is limited to driving a motor vehicle:
1. In the course of the individual's employment;
2. For the purpose of driving to or from a place of employment; or
3. For the purpose of driving to or from school.
(2) An individual may request a hearing as provided for a suspension or revocation under Title 12, Subtitle 2 of this article.