2018 Maryland Code
Title 15 - Vehicle Laws -- Licensing of Businesses and Occupations
Subtitle 1 - Definitions; General Provisions
§ 15-113. Record keeping -- Auctioneer
(a) Records required to be kept. -- Each person who conducts auctions as a business in this State of motor vehicles of a type required to be registered under this article shall keep a record of:
(1) The name and address of the consignor;
(2) The date on which it was consigned;
(3) The year, make, model, and serial number of each vehicle consigned;
(4) The title number and state where the vehicle was last registered;
(5) The odometer mileage reading at the time of consignment;
(6) The name and address of the person to whom the vehicle was sold;
(7) The selling price; and
(8) The date of sale.
(b) Open to inspection. -- During business hours, the records shall be open to inspection by the Administration, by the Department of State Police, or by a law enforcement officer with a county or municipal police department or sheriff's office who is assigned to an antitheft unit.
(c) Period to be maintained. -- The records required by this section shall be kept for at least 3 years after the transaction to which it applies.
(d) Civil penalties. -- A person who fails to comply with any requirement under subsections (a) through (c) of this section is subject to a civil penalty not exceeding:
(1) For a first offense, $ 500; or
(2) For a second or subsequent offense, $ 1,000.