2018 Maryland Code
Tax - General
Title 10 - Income Tax
Subtitle 2 - Maryland Taxable Income Calculations for Individual
Part IV - Deductions and Tax Preference Items
§ 10-220. Itemized deductions -- Limitation for part-year resident
(a) In general. -- An individual who is a resident of the State for only a part of the taxable year may claim and shall include only the part attributable to Maryland, as determined under this section, of:
(1) the additions to federal adjusted gross income under § 10-204 of this subtitle;
(2) the subtractions from federal adjusted gross income under §§ 10-207 through 10-209 of this subtitle;
(3) the deduction for exemptions under § 10-211 or § 10-212 of this subtitle; and
(i) the standard deduction under § 10-217 of this subtitle; or
(ii) itemized deductions under § 10-218 of this subtitle.
(b) Prorating items. -- Unless the Comptroller requires or allows another method to compute the items listed in subsection (a) of this section, an individual who is a resident for only a part of the taxable year shall prorate the items using a fraction:
(1) the numerator of which is the number of months in which the individual was a resident; and
(2) the denominator of which is 12.
(c) Partial month's residency. -- An individual who is a resident for a period of more than 15 days in a month is deemed to be a resident for the full month.